JUST curious what ship was it

AL Glover

Apr 15, 2005
hello all hope you are well, just a curious question,does anyone know the name of the REAL ship?
that was portrayed in the Poseidon,?
any & all info would be appreciated, "AA"

Apr 11, 2001
According to the international movie data base
"Most of the external shots of the Poseidon were shot using a model built from the original blueprints of the Queen Mary. The model is on display at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum at the Los Angeles harbor. The real Queen Mary is located just a few miles away in Long Beach.
Some of the pre-capsize sequences were shot aboard the Queen Mary, including the opening storm sequence, the pre-disaster scenes in the staterooms and hallways, the scenes above decks, and an early scene in the engine room.

In the scene in which Rev. Scott rescues Robin, the set was built on tracks which would slowly lower the inclined set into a large water tank. The set was supposed to stop moving once the set was half-submerged, but for some reason it continued until the camera crew was underwater. The film magazine was rushed to the lab, where immediate processing showed the film was undamaged." This is one of the best sites for the film, which will be featured, incidentally, at the TIS convention next weekend in D.C.
http://www.theposeidonadventure.com/intro2.htm

AL Glover

Apr 15, 2005
wow so much info, Thank you, & yes also saw Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" and (sorry for pun") but it sunk, also seems when 'someone decides to make an "'updated version"of a great movie, it is NEVER as good as the orignal movie, thank you again for the links,&take care everyone ok, "AA"

K

Kyle Johnstone

It is interesting to note that the model of the Queen Mary used in Poseidon includes alterations made to the Queen Mary after she became a Long Beach tourist attraction.
There are no scenes in The Poseidon Adventure that were shot in any of Queen Mary's staterooms or other interiors, including the engine room. These are all soundstage sets constructed for the film. The movie scenes shot aboard Queen Mary are all exterior scenes.

Jul 11, 2001
Thats not 100% true. The early scene of the Ships Doctor and Nurse walking to the Rogos cabin was Filmed on board. The inside shots of that cabin were a set however.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hi David

You are absolutely correct. You caught me with my foot in my big mouth. I had forgotten about that scene, being so quick and so early. That is indeed the real first class travel bureau on Main Deck in the background. It's also very nice to see that this scene was shot before the beautiful linoleum floor was covered up with carpeting. And with the ships original cabin numbering scheme, that really would be cabin M45 that they go to, as scripted (no more though, all cabin numbers have been changed for whatever hotel reasons) The burlwood cabin door that the doctor knocks on though is not original to the ship, the art director obviously covered the real door with a burl pattern to match the sets they built on stage.
Thanks David for reminding me!

Kyle...a classic Lincoln owner ;)

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Kyle!

you are indeed correct that so much wasn't filmed there. I was on the QM last year for a few days and really took it all in. That quick scene on M-Deck was a treat.

My friends quickly exited the First class lounge when I starting singing "The Morning after" He he he.

A classic Lincoln? I had a 71 Continental a few years ago too. Are you a member of Great Autos?

David

Gary.J Bell

May 30, 2004
Hi
Ive just finished watching this film for the like 100th time! i really like it.
However, i just wanted ask what footage was used when you see the ship sailing through the seas at the beginning? it looks a beautiful ship and the scenes must be real footage of an old ocean liner.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Hello Gary!
The pre-capsize footage of the "Poseidon" in the heavy waves was actually a model that is now housed at the Maritime Museum in Long Beach.

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Steve!

I'm sure this question's been asked before, but do you happen to know the length of the RMS-QM model? The reason I ask is the pre-CGI ocean looks really convincing in those shots - so I'm guessing the ship model is fairly large.

Roy

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Steve, Roy, the model of the Queen Mary, used for "The Poseidon Adventure" is quite big.
The model is at the Maritime Museum; however, the Museum is not in Long Beach, but in the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro), down Harbor Blvd. from the cruise ship terminals and the SS Lane Victory.

I will have to note the size comparison of the model to the Queen Mary; that data is listed at the Museum, which is about 11 miles from my home.

Sep 26, 2009
According to a plaque displayed with the Poseidon/Queen Mary model, it is 1:48 scale, 22 feet long, 800 lbs, and cost Fox $30,000 to build. It was donated to the museum on June 26, 1984.