Just getting started

M

Mark Steventon

Hello all,

I have been fascinated with the Titanic for a number of years and only over the past month or so have I taken an interest in searching for the facts and fiction surrounding the great ship and her final resting place at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

After reading some of the posts on these forums and the undoubted expertise and research that many of you have taken the time to undertake, I was hoping you would humour me with some answers to some questions that have been popping into my head recently.

1. Had Titanic had a larger rudder would she of been able to complete the turn and avoid the iceberg? Or was she doomed already as the lookouts dident see the iceberg in time.

2. Was there really another ship only 12 nautical miles away or is this pure fabrication?

3. Had the water tight bulk heads gone all the way up the ship as apposed to only half way, would this of prevented the ship from sinking or at least bought them some more time for assistance to arrive?

4. Would Titanic have survived if she had hit the iceberg headon instead of scrapping along the side?

I'm sure these questions have been answered many times before but as a total novice without time to do my own proper research I would appreciate any answers you can provide.

Regards

Mark Steventon

T

Tom Pappas

Welcome aboard, Mark.

1. Had Titanic had a larger rudder would she of been able to complete the turn and avoid the iceberg? Or was she doomed already as the lookouts dident see the iceberg in time. I don't think so. Getting the stern swung out faster wouldn't help accelerate the mass of the ship off its heading. It would still have collided, only further aft (possibly opening up three or more compartments, which would have been immediately fatal).

2. Was there really another ship only 12 nautical miles away or is this pure fabrication? There was a ship, the Californian within a few miles - there is considerable disagreement on how far. It is unlikely, for logistical reasons, that she would have been able to save many people.

3. Had the water tight bulk heads gone all the way up the ship as apposed to only half way, would this of prevented the ship from sinking or at least bought them some more time for assistance to arrive? No. The water that sank the ship didn't slop over the bulkheads as the oversimplified "ice cube tray" model would have it. The water percolated down from above. If the watertight compartments had been topped by watertight decks, the ship probably would have remained afloat.

4. Would Titanic have survived if she had hit the iceberg headon instead of scrapping along the side? Maybe. A head-on collision may have ruptured a smaller number of compartments - or the shock might have loosened plates halfway to the stern, sinking the vessel in minutes. A head-on would certainly have killed 600-900 people instantly, as most of the crew and 3rd Class men were quartered in the crumple zone. In any case, it was not an option.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Jul 9, 2002
Hello Mark, I just found this thread and it looks like Tom has answered your questions. Trust his answers, he is a smart man. Others on the boards can teach you a lot more about this Grand Ship. Good searching and have fun. Ask anything and someone here will know the answer. Hope to talk to you again soon.