Just one more question

Jun 4, 2003
Can anyone tell me where Rose and her mother are supposed to be sleeping in the film? I suspect both of them in the suite but I do not know for sure since it had only two bedrooms and Cal would be in one of them. Thanks, George ...

Jun 4, 2003
Beth, how can you tell that? In the movie, at the beginning the couple and her mother appear to share the promenade suite with the two bedrooms and sitting room, and it does not seem to give any indication that the mother was somewhere else, only B52-54-56 suite is mentioned and since Cal was obviously paying for the tickets under his name all relevant rooms had to be mentioned. However, in the scene where he gives her the necklace she is all alone in her bedroom and her mother is not there. Obviously she is somewhere else, but where? After the collision, she is seen in the sitting room with bed attire which means that if not with them, she must have been staying somewhere very near probably with maid(?). Any other ideas? George ...

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Hi George - Sorry - I thought that B52-B54-B56 were all separate suites. That was what I referring to. Maybe some suites had more than 1 bedroom? I'm sure someone else will know the answer. - Beth

Jun 4, 2003
Hi, Beth! It's ok! You didn't make a terrible mistake, but I am still curious about the sleeping arrangements! Anyone with great ideas is welcome to participate in my inquiry efforts. So, if one reads all the above, please let us all know their input. Thanks! George from Greece.

Jun 24, 2003
Beth-I fully agree with you. When Lovejoy said those room numbers to the Porter at the beginning of the film I took it as being 3 suites.

Barbara

Dec 6, 2000
Barbara,

After pointing out what was to be boarded, I think the words used were:
to Parlour Suite B-52, 54, 56.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
I'm not sure why it's a "goof" as three suites for three people would be right. In Cameron's Titanic Explorer tour three suites are shown, two having two beds in them.

Dec 6, 2000
Titanic had 4 Parlour Suites. Each comprised a Sitting Room, 2 bedrooms [each with 2 beds (one of which was 4 foot wide) and a wardrobe room] plus a Private Bath and Lavatory. Each of the 2 on B-deck also had a Private Promenade and a Servant's Room.
With B-52, 54, 56: B-52 was a Sitting room and B-54 and 56 were bedrooms.

Also on B-deck there were 12 Suites of Rooms. Each comprised 2 bedrooms [each with 2 beds (one of which was 4 foot wide) and a wardrobe room] plus a Private Bath and Lavatory and a Servant's Room. - As with the Suites of Rooms listed in the Shipbuilder for the Olympic the rooms could be let separately, with the Bath and Lavatory being able to be booked in conjunction with either of the main parlour-bedrooms.

For Olympic [and thus Titanic's C-deck] the Shipbuilder reads: "aft of the parlour suites are .. suites of rooms ... Each suite consists of three combined bed and sitting rooms with intercommunication doors, two wardrobe rooms and a private bath and lavatory. The rooms can .. be let separately ..." - On Titanic C-80, 82 and 84 represented such an arrangement. - These rooms were each for 2 passengers and had 2 beds, one of which was 4 foot wide.

Jun 4, 2003
Yes, but one cannot sleep in the sitting room, so where did Rose's mother sleep after all? Possibly with her mother in her bedroom? Or what?

Jul 11, 2001
The answer is obvious......She slept in the same room as Mr.Lovejoy. But seriously, one would assume she was in the next Stateroom, B-58. Which oddly does not have a connecting door. Lovejoy as a manservant, I would guess was staying in 2nd class.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Lovejoy slept only with a loaded .45! Seriously, the servants quartered in Second Class were generally those 'not needed on voyage', like cooks and chauffeurs. Maids and manservants like the fictional Trudy Bolt and Lovejoy were more likely to be found in First Class, closer to those they served. The servants associated with the promenade suites were accommodated in the block of cabins inboard and a little further aft (eg B101).

In a real-life 1912 situation, the fiance and her mother would have occupied the two-bedroom suite and the man a separate cabin - or suite of rooms if his finances ran to it. An unmarried couple sharing a suite of connected rooms would have been scandalous. But maybe not if the young lady was chaperoned by her mother occupying the same bedroom - could be that's what Cameron had in mind.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
George, I just had a look at Cameron's shooting script. The directions refer to 'Ruth's suite' and 'Rose and Cal's suite'. Also, in the Southampton scene, Cal (who is described as 'rich beyond meaning') boasts that "I've pulled every string I could to book us on the grandest ship in history, in her most luxurious suites". The implication of that is that Cal has booked BOTH promenade suites, one for Ruth and the other for himself and Rose. Unrealistic, but I guess that's the answer you were looking for.

Jun 4, 2003
Thanks Bob! But isn't that a bit too much? Three suites for only three people and their servants? But Cameron surely knows better for his movie! A little too unrealistic but certainly true enough for a movie!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Two suites, George - with Rose and Cal sharing one of them. Not an acceptable arrangement in 1912, but makes perfect sense for a Hollywood plot! The servants' rooms just down the corridor were (I think) included in the price of the promenade suites - one per suite. Lovejoy would have had one of these and the two maids (for Rose and Ruth) could have shared another.