Just read the book.

Alex Clark

Mar 24, 2012
Having just read the book, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it in relation to the film.
I did wonder why the author had to include saucy scenes on the wreck. Although Anne Archer standing nude in front of the camera would have pulled in cinema audiences. Perhaps preventing the film bombing. :p.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
The film alas did no justice to the book whatsoever except in the F/X sequences (the raising is well done) and John Barry's score. There were several problems that doomed the project from the start.

1-The character of Dirk Pitt in Cussler's novel and subsequent series was basically a Jack Ryan, James Bond type figure. But the first draft of the script instead turned the character of Pitt into an aging, weary veteran that was clearly written with Steve McQueen in mind. McQueen never got attached to the project, but the template of Pitt that was rewritten for him ended up staying and that didn't help the film when the unknown Richard Jordan got cast in the part.

2-The film spent so much on F/X for the raising and the underwater scenes that they ran out of money to dramatize the key action of the book, namely the hurricane, the Soviet boarding etc. The end result is that the film just kind of peddles along in low-key fashion and has a very limp climax as far as the Russians are concerned.

3-The book also eschewed the cynical ending of the film. Cussler's novel had no shades of grey regarding the justness of the Sicilian Project etc.

4-There were a number of other scenes for the film that got cut, including an expensive sinking sequence where we would have seen Brewster locking himself in the vault. The F/X for the sinking did turn up in an episode of the TV series "Voyagers." Also cut was a scene of Anne Archer after the Titanic comes to NY which cleared up the loose ends regarding her relationship with David Selby. In the film it, and her role, comes to a dead stop.

Nov 14, 2005
Having just read the book, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it in relation to the film.
I did wonder why the author had to include saucy scenes on the wreck. Although Anne Archer standing nude in front of the camera would have pulled in cinema audiences. Perhaps preventing the film bombing. :p.
I remember when I saw it I said..."wow, they left a lot out from the book". But thats true of most movies. I like Clive Cussler's books. Read a lot of them. They are what I call a good airplane books. But after you read a bunch its hard to remember the stories because they all kind of blend in together.
P.S...yes Anne Archer was quite the looker in those days.