Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hello everyone,

I have received a couple of posts from people wondering why I have reverted to requiring people to register for the message board. Perhaps it would help if I explained myself.

I decided at an early stage that the message board should be an area where anyone can post questions and participate in sensible discussion. There are numerous Internet chat rooms, guest books and discussion boards where people can indulge in aimless chit chat but I hoped that this board would be a bit more interesting than that.

Essentially this has worked and we've had some great, and highly involved discussions but the ability to post anonymously has caused a few problems.

I am of the view that if you are not prepared to post using your own name then you shouldn't be posting at all because whatever you say will lack credibility.

Anonymity is certainly useful if you want to insult someone or express a controversial view without anyone knowing who you are but, to me, this is a cop out. Have the courage of your convictions!

Strangely, despite all the notices I placed on the board and the individual reminders I posted some people simply could not grasp the concept that posting using your full name meant posting using your full name. Tricky one, I know, but there you are.

Now I have no problem with someone asking about transexuals on the Titanic or pretty much any other topic as long as it is vaguely relevant and seeks to stimulate debate and further our knowledge about the subject. But I do have a problem with someone posting anonymously with a quick insult and then disappearing just as quickly. No one knows who it was that posted the message and all that is left is bad feeling. The discussion hasn't moved forward at all.

I honestly don't think it is a big deal to ask people to register when the advantages are so obvious. We can all be assured that everyone that posts has had to come via me and therefore the quality of the discussions should be maintained. I can prevent abusers from posting entirely. I can also disable email addresses and check your bank accounts and inside leg measurements (OK not those last bits).

Some might argue that it is just another layer of bureaucracy and might dissuade new people from posting but I don't agree. If they are interested enough to post a serious point they will take the time (about 30 seconds) to email me with a request for membership.

I hope this explains my position and will help to keep these marvellous discussion on top form.

Phil

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi Phillip!

When I first came here the membership wasn't required at all. Some time later it became necessary but only one day after it wasn't so needed but I kept being a member. I believe that now, for once, membership is required and I do believe this is the best way to keep untruth Titanic enthusiastics out of the way. And, like you say, it's not hard at all to become a member and people only lose about 30 sec.!

This way, we may be less but were the best right? So anyones who wants to join us just have to show their own personality right??

Enough of no worth chat!

Only want to tell you that I agree with you!
Cátia Lamy

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Philip!

Just wanted to say that I agree with you! As Catia says, this is the best way to keep those people that don't want to identify themselves out of the way.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Phil, you'll get nothing but the strongest support from me. I noticed the troll(s) who have been harrassing Inger haven't been back, so you're getting positive results already. ;-)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
Hello Phil,

I agree with you that anyone who wishes to post must register. I also wish to see photos of them, but that is up to the individual to present to us. I detest those who use a fictitious email address in order to post here. Have you run across this yet, a fictitious email address?

Michael,

Can you remember what thread Inger was harrassed on? I want to take a look at that.

Sincerely,

Teri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Oh, Hi Teri. No, I don't remember which thread was involved. This harrassment was going on almost a year ago. Inger Sheil is one of the most respected researchers in the Titanic community, and when she posts something, she'll tend to go into great detail. That's why some of the longest postings here on this board are by here hand.

Well, some chaps didn't like that so they would try to "flame" her with insults, derision, etc. One bloke who did this went by the handle of "potis". He was really little more then a troll. He would heckle, harass and critisize while adding nothing to whatever debate was going on, whereas Inger would offer substantive remarks and observations based on some very solid research.

Sadly, Inger is no longer with us (Though I suspect she's lurking about) because of an unfortunate misunderstanding. I hope she'll be back in the near future along with Senan Maloney and George Behe. I miss their insights and good humor.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Mike,

Inger has indeed been lurking. Have a look at the ET guestbook.

Sam,

Ah, happy days! THAT thread was started by Thelma somebody. She made the criminally disrespectful suggestion that Edith Evans might have been a transexual and put this forward as a reason for her not managing to board collapsible D. Hmmm...tasteful!

Teri,

I don't recall the exact thread, but you could try a keyword search for "potis".

Jun 4, 2000
Crikey! Why on earth would anyone want to look at that rubbish? But yes, it's all still parked in the archive if you really need to read it.

There were a number of people who popped out of the woodwork, took a pot shot and then ran away. Sadly, a couple of names/writing styles seemed familiar, but as they didn't hang around to contribute to the board... Oh well, water under the bridge.

BTW, I do not think of Inger as actively 'lurking' but more as passing by on the odd occasion.

Apr 7, 2001
Dear Anyone,

Does anyone know why Senan left this Board?

"Date: "Mon, 21 May 2001 16:04:37
Subject: (Titanic) Ten arrows "Oh Dear God/OT"

"Xerxes Revisited: My Life As a Reincarnated Persian" by J. Bruce Ismay"

After re-reading his distasteful comment written on the Titanic-Digest I am not so sure I will miss him. My interest in the life of J. Bruce is deep indeed. Of all the personalities onboard Titanic, he chose to ridicule J. Bruce in that comment of 21 May 2001. What was the bloke thinkin when he wrote it? I can only speculate. Now ON THE OTHER HAND, Mr. Molony wrote a most beautiful piece of artwork on J. Bruce which I admire greatly! I must thank him graciously for his hard work, effort and time he must have put into this masterful piece of work. This may just surprise you a bit but I am also a bit covetous of Mr. Senan since he lives in a place where has direct access to the touch and feel of live documents pertaining to the life of J. Bruce Ismay. How I wish I could be there too! I do wish him good luck in all his current and future endeavors.

Fiona,

Why would I want to look at that rubbish? Because I never know what I'll learn from ET, but I must read to find out. But just to clarify myself, I am not interested in reading the trashy transexual thread, I am interested in reading the thread about Inger. If she's that much respected and loved, then I wish her to continue "lurking" and otherwise. The more respectful and knowledgeable members we have, the better for all of us.

Michael,

I have run into threads that bored me to tears, but I didn't post anything speaking of my boredom. I don't agree with someone posting saying "your post is too long or too short or too boring, etc. etc.." Those people should be named gutless jellyfish and shot down and driven to the cow pastures.... I have seen posts that have bored me to nothing, but who cares? So, I just pass them up and move on....

And I am sure that if Inger and George were prominent members of this board at one time, they would not be so quick to leave it permanently. As long as the rest of the respectful members request to see them back, maybe they'll kindly return to us.

Haven't read the thread on potis, but I will. And thanks.

Phil,

I have performed several searches by people's names and I always get an error returned to me. Are searches by name allowed on your database?

Sam,

As far as the thread on transexuals, that is abhorrent to me and I would never bother to read such a thread. I am also surprised that our lovely and talented Mr. Phil Hind (no not Ripley) would condone such a thread. If this was my Board, I would remove a thread such as that at once and I would also severely reprimand the individual who started it.

Respectfully,

Teri

Jun 4, 2000
Hello Terri Lynn,

I often tosh through the archive looking for particular discussions, and can well understand your interest. Phil himself has answered regarding the best-forgotten ancient history. Quite frankly, if some of 'those' threads were taken out and burnt at the stake I doubt they'd be missed. However, Phil in his infinite wisdom as Benevolent Board Bod (Hail! Hail! The monthly tithe of wheat is on its way, sir) has left them there for those prepared to delve. Happy hunting!

You have also expressed interest in the history of this board's membership, including the 'flamers' and reasons some past frequent contributors are no longer here. In a way, your post above offers a mirror to some of poor form from those times.

Do you think it 'respectful' or even just good netiquette to:

[ul][*]provide and then criticise a quote out of context from a post to another forum? [*]criticise the person who wrote it here, rather than on the originating forum, while knowing they are no longer here to respond? [*]post their email address on this public forum? [*]provide the above information in bold type to draw further attention to it?[/li][/list] The excerpt you quote has clearly upset you. Why not address this in the forum in which the post originated and clear the air? Personally, knowing the full context in which the post was made and having read the full thread in the relevant forum, I thought it amusing and not at all offensive. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sincerely,

Fiona

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Teri

I actually found the transexual thread quite funny, especially as the person who posted it was quite serious.

I don't care much for the insinuation that you have some kind of moral highground on me because you didn't read the thread. You don't.

If anyone wants to be transexual, homosexual, asexual or whatever, I don't find it abhorrent. It is their choice and their life, let them live it as they wish without fear of oppression, ridicule and nasty scorn. Sound familiar, Teri?

It doesn't seem so long ago that you were threatened with a reprimand from Phil and there were a lot of people who would quite happily have seen your thread on reincarnation removed. Some people don't like "such" a thread you see.

For the record I also found your thread quite enjoyable. I wonder if the person who started the transexual thread found it "abhorrent"?

Respectfully

Sam

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Teri, I'm not going to rehash a lot of old ground on some of the fueds that have taken place. It would just be reopening old wounds and pouring salt on them and that's not my style. It's an unfortunate fact of life that some people just don't get along well with others. Were it otherwise, my life would have been very different as there would be no need for a military.

I still exchange little notes with George Behe from time to time. Not as often as I would like, but I have a pretty full plate these days. He does too.His knowladge of the Titanic and the people involved is quite impressive.

Likewise with Inger and Senan. I've met Senan face to face and I enjoyed his wit, humor, and fun loving manner. The copy of his book which he gave me (The Irish Aboard Titanic) is a masterpeice of research into the lives of some very obscure personalities and a must-read for anyone interested in the passangers, particularly those in steerage. Get it if you can. You won't regret it.

I wish they hadn't left us, but they had their reasons. I only hope they'll be back if and when the wounds heal. They have a phenomonal talant for fishing out some very difficult to find data and their insights are sorely missed.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
Fiona,

You are right, Fiona. I shouldn't have exposed Senan's e-mail address publicly on this Board and I send my humble apologies to him for the neglect on my part.

It is not my intention to harm anyone here on this Board, least of all Senan, and I don't wish to make enemies either. His e-mail address did not even cross my mind at the time I made my posting. I only intended the DATE to be exposed, and mistakably posted his e-mail address in the process.

It may surprise you Fiona that I admire Senan and his work and I would be honored if someday I would meet him. I know, one would not have gleaned that I felt that way by my last posting, but it is true, and I apologize if I didn't make myself known.

In response to the following:

* provide and then criticize a quote out of context from a post to another forum?
<FONT COLOR="ff6000">My understanding of ET is that it is a free forum for all members to post Titanic topics to debate upon. (Phil correct me if I'm wrong.)
* criticize the person who wrote it here, rather than on the originating forum, while knowing they are no longer here to respond?
<FONT COLOR="ff6000">You are right here - - I should have posted my argument on the originating forum. Why didn't I? Plain and simply put, I was too uncomfortable. Also, my thought was that even if I did post to him on that forum he obviously did not think to care who read it or who's feelings might have been hurt. Senan doesn't know me from anyone, why should he care if he hurt my feelings? Do you see my position? Senan is free to post as he wishes, I cannot argue with that fact. I just wish he'd be a little more considerate of other's when commenting on such delicate matters. But then again, "delicacy" is in the eyes of the beholder, so I've said my point that I really didn't think he'd care what I said and so I didn't post anything. The thought did cross my mind though.
* post their e-mail address on this public forum?
<FONT COLOR="ff6000">As I professed earlier, you are right and I send my humble apologies to Senan.
* provide the above information in bold type to draw further attention to it?
<FONT COLOR="ff6000">People bold-face their postings all the time here on ET and I didn't think there was any harm in it.

I am sincerely glad you thought Senan's post amusing and not at all offensive. IMHO, I don't think anyone would find that posting offensive except someone like me, who is deeply rooted in the life of J. Bruce Ismay. I am just wondering if Randy Bigham would find it equally "amusing" if Senan posted a similar comment on "Lucy Duff Gordon?"

SAM -

I tried to picture someone I ADMIRE as a transsexual and then asked myself honestly - - would I still admire them if they were a transsexual? My reply to that is yes. Yes I would still respect them for their professionalism and not their personal preferences. I do have the sensibility to separate professionalism from personal preference.

No high moral ground on you, Sam. My not reading that thread is only a personal preference is all. I sincerely apologize if I came across the wrong way. That's not what I wanted.

Removing the thread I was reprimanded on would be unfair unless the other person's thread was removed too - - the one DEVOTED to reincarnation. I re-read that thread last night. MY thread was merely an introduction of myself wherein I came on too strong and foolishly thought everyone else shared my same beliefs. Stupid me...

Michael,

As I emailed you privately, you are a dear for not wanting to rehash a lot of old ground on some of the feuds that have taken place. You are wise in your decisions. Thanks for the insight on Senan, I will purchase his book when finances allow. My Titanic book collection is still not complete, and I have much purchasing to do... You may miss Senan on ET, but you can still catch him on the Titanic-Digest forum. He seems to be quite popular there.

I am sure I could learn much from Inger and George, I'll try to read as many of their postings here on ET as possible. But you know how large this Board is!

Love To All,

Teri

Jun 4, 2000
Hello again Teri,

Firstly, my apologies for addressing you as Teri Lynn earlier. I have since seen that you prefer Teri, so I hope it's right this time and I'm not being overly familiar.

You have apologised profusely for your inadvertent posting of the email address. Fair enough. Phil saw fit to remove it, so no harm done, eh. Likewise, I note that you are starting to experiment with message formatting - although I also notice that it's only my comments you've addressed in a nice, incendiary red. Fair enough again.

Your interpretation of me as a would-be board watchdog is quite funny given some of your own statements here on various topics. However, you have completely missed the point of my comments.

You wrote: "My understanding of ET is that it is a free forum for all members to post Titanic topics to debate upon..."

It's not about subject matter.

You posted an excerpt of a message from another forum - against the rules of that forum.

Have you also read the guidelines for posting here?

You also wrote: "It may surprise you Fiona that I admire Senan and his work and I would be honored if someday I would meet him."

You're right, I am surprised. So, why not meet him in cyberspace? You've shown you're not shy here, out in the public gaze, so posting to a smaller group should be a piece of cake. You are free to post on that forum as you wish too, just as much as any other member.

You wrote: "I am sincerely glad you thought Senan's post amusing and not at all offensive. IMHO, I don't think anyone would find that posting offensive except someone like me, who is deeply rooted in the life of J. Bruce Ismay..."

Someone like me, perhaps, who has been flamed as an Ismayite? LOL! However, let's not speculate on others' responses to particular issues, particularly when taken out of context. Your example is doubly unfortunate given recent board history. Olive branches, Teri, not hand grenades. And do watch out for that minefield! Oh dear...

I hope you can understand why I am quite bemused by all of this. While it's understandable coming from a cyberspace na&iuml;f, it's hard to believe the same from an internet/computing professional. Perhaps you could use some of the consideration you keep hoping for from others: you reap what you sow.

FWIW, I agree with Sam and Michael too.

Cheers,

Fiona

Apr 7, 2001
Fiona, This is the first Board I've ever belonged to and it appears I am not doing a very good job at it. It's getting increasingly difficult for me to post without getting myself into some kind of trouble.

Me? Meet Senan in cyberspace? I've gotten myself in hot water on this Board, what makes me think I would do a good job on another forum? That's a chance I would rather not take at this time.

Phil, I sincerely apologize if I have disrupted your Board in any way. Perhaps I should become an onlooker rather than a contributer to your site. The only other option for me to take would be to stay-away-from-any-topics-dealing-with-the-subject-matter-of-J. Bruce Ismay.

Teri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Teri said;This is the first Board I've ever belonged to and it appears I am not doing a very good job at all.

Hi Teri, and welcome to the club. My first experience was with the Delphi Forums, and I managed to get myself into some hot water befor I learned the nuances of nettiquette. You'll get a few bruises along the way. We all have, especially me. So long as you learn from your mistakes, you should be O.K.

Me? Meet Senan in cyberspace?

Well sure! Why not? I suspect you subscribe to some of the same listservs that Senan and I do. Chat with the man if something comes up of mutual interest. You have nothing to lose and you might make a freind.
happy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Teri, honey, just don't try so hard to make people like you. Be yourself and you'll make friends easily. Feel free to contact me privately if you like. I think you know my e-mail address.
Oh, and by the way, there are literally hundreds of books on Titanic, so neither you or I could ever "complete" our collection, no matter how hard we try! LOL!

Regards,
Kyrila

Steve Arnold

Jun 28, 2000
Teri, why would you consider not continuing to post? You obviously enjoy participating in the discussions here. If you have done something or said something that bothers people and they say so, don't take it as a personal rejection, just assume that your "detractors" have taken issue with something you have said, and are not trying to get rid of you.

I'm not telling you to stick around or to get lost either one, I'm just suggesting that maybe you are considering your situation from the wrong perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.