Kate Connolly (died)

A search of the International Genealogical Index (IGI) at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/igi/search_igi.asp suggests that the following was the family of the Kate Connolly of Bank Place, Tipperary town, who was lost when the Titanic sank:

John Connolly m. Kate Madden and had at least five children:

1. Mary b. 9 Apr 1864, probably d. before 1912
2. Margaret b. 23 Dec 1865
3. Kate b. 25 Aug 1870 d. 15 Apr 1912 (aged 41)
4. Edward Joseph b. 18 Oct 1873
5. Richard b. c. 1882/3

The birthdates are a bit different from those estimated by Senan Molony in his book. Such uncertainty about ages and birthdates would have been commonplace in Ireland at the time.

I would welcome any further information about this and other Connolly families living in Tipperary town in the years before the Titanic tragedy.

I have now found Kate Connolly and her family in the 1901 census in Tipperary town. The ages given by Senan Molony for Kate and her siblings were calculated by adding 11 to the ages in the 1901 census. These, however, as was typical, were very wrong. Kate senior was said to be 54 in 1901 (slightly difficult to read); Maggie was 35 but admitted to only 26; Katie was 30 but admitted to only 24; Edward was 27 but admitted to only 22. Richard, who admitted to 18, was probably older.

The Kate Connolly who survived was my Dad's Aunt, she came from Cortrasna, County Cavan. We think she went to live in New York, possibly in The Bronx. If anyone has any information regarding her family, please get in touch. Cheers

John Connolly
Essex, England

John, According to Senan in his book: The Irish Aboard Titanic, Kate's destination was: 309 East 88th Street [Manhattan], New York City.

Her siblings [ages from the 1901 Census] are given as James 28, Mary 3 and an older sister Nellie, Mrs John McGuckian. - Kate was going to her.

Married in 1916 to William Arkins. Their children were James [born 1919], John [1920], Peter [1925] and Thomas in 1926. - He only lived for a month.