Kawasaki Shipbuilding delivers one of the largest tankers

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the Shipping Times:
quote:

VLCC TENKI is amongst the biggest to be designed for passage through the Malacca Straits

On 12th March 2007 Kawasakil Shipbuilding delivered the TENKI to Colnago Maritima SA at Nantong COSCO KHI Ship Engineering Co., Ltd. (NACKS) in Nantong, China
For the rest of this breif story, go to http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item349_tenki.htm

Comment: Not really the world's largest ever built, but for going through the Straits of Malacca, this is about as high up as you can go, and a GRT of 316,021 is nothing to sneeze at.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
That's deadweight, Michael.

" The 160,295 grt VLCC was launched on 13th December 2006

She is 333 metres long with a deadweight tonnage of 316,021 tons."

We may have seen the end of impractically large tankers, like Jahre Viking and other monsters.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>That's deadweight, Michael<<

Ooops...you're right. My bad.

>>We may have seen the end of impractically large tankers<<

I suspect you're right. The really huge monsters were forced less by market conditions then by the fact that the Suez Canal had been shut for a number of years. Building them really huge was about the only way to economically move the cargo in the quantities needed to meet the demands.

The problem with these behemouths is that they're very difficult to handle and can't even be brought into a number of ports. Somebody could build a million tonner...it's technically well within reach...but I doubt it would be all that useful.