Kelly Beth V

• Thread starter Kelly Beth Vogelsong
  • Start date

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Hi! My name is Kelly Beth. See ~ now this is hard. Figuring out what to tell you about me that won't frighten you or make you stop reading this (if you already haven't...and honestly, I probably would have).

I'm 23, married, living in Pennsylvania (and why I stay here is as much of an enigma to me as it is to you). I'm a Systems Analyst for Rite Aid, fixing computer related problems in their stores over the computer. It's actually more interesting than it sounds....and more frustrating.

I live a pretty lonely existence with a husband who is either always at work or at night school, studying to be a Microsoft engineer. My pets (3 cats, 2 birds, and a dog) keep me company, and I absolutely love each one of them to death. Two of my cats were strays, one was a kitten dropped at someone's door step; the other, hit by a car.

I give these pieces of my life to you because I don't have some wonderful, amazing story of how I have become obsessed with the Titanic. Mainly because, I can't remember a time when I haven't been obsessed with the Titanic.

But mine isn't an obsession that revolves soley around the ship itself. Every time I read a book or put together a Titanic puzzle; watch a television special or see some old newspaper clipping, I can't help but feel so much sorrow for all the people that lost their lives on that ship, and the way they lost it. And I especially get upset thinking of how torn the survivors were. Grateful that they were saved; lonely and depressed because their husbands, sons, daughters, mothers, sisters and brothers, etc., went down that night with the Titanic.

And to think that they were so close to so many of the people in the water and did nothing....afraid that they themselves might have become a statistic as well (if their boats had overcrowded and toppled).

I loathed when the movie Titanic came out. Not just because it had so little do with the Titanic, other than the sinking, and some carfully placed individuals, but because there were so many inaccuracies. Of course, I realize that movie was not some biography, but nonetheless, it was called, "Titanic"....such a shame that in death, some of these "real" people could be portrayed so inaccurately.

Life would never be the same after the Titanic sank. I know I was never the same after I first read about it. I've spent years reading books, compiling information, searching for survivors. But I'm not a historian. Just someone who really takes it to heart. I don't think that's so wrong.

I think it's the least I can do....

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sounds about right to me. I grew up in New Stanton Pa., but presently reside quite contentedly in South Carolina after a 20 year career in the Navy. My pension allows me to feed my voracious book habit(I'm interested in aviation as well as archaeology, maritime history, and history in general) and still save some money.

We have eleven cats in our house, most of whom are rescues so I know where you're coming from.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

11 cats!!!! I'd go for that, but I think my husband would kick me out of the house.

Reading is one of my favorite past times, as well. But much like movies and music, as much as my collection is extensive, there is also a wide variety. Tell me, do you enjoy poetry? Poe and Whitman are two in which, once I pick up the book - I don't put it down until I'm done.

And the Navy!!! I was in the Army for a brief period ~ and I mean BRIEF. I was only in for BT, and they kicked me out on medical. So much for that.

What made you move to S.C.?

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Nov 2, 2000
Kelly Beth, I think besides the mystery, we all are compelled to the Titanic for its humanside. It's definetly got more sad and horoic stories than about any other in history and that draws upon our emotions. I agree about the Cameron movie. I mean, how can you tell a story about the Titanic without including at least an attempt to tell the story of the Californian?

Michael.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What made us move to SC? The jobs went south...literally. Not much of a surprise when the Pa. politicians were jacking up taxes on everything in sight. My Dad got laid off from his job at Robertshaw in 1990, and my Mom was laid off from the Westmorland County hospital in Greensburg even though she is one of the top critical care nurses in the country.

I just sort of moved south and in with my folks. Rather conveinient for all of us as we share expenses and they're not young any more. I deal with things they no longer have the energy for.

I can't say as I'm much of a peotry buff. I'm into ships aircraft, and as much general history as I can make time for. Which unfortunately isn't as much as I would like, but ces't livre. I like classical music too.

Mike, I suspect James Camaron was trying to avoid ruffling some feathers by ignoring the Californian. Not that it worked as he drew quite a bit of heat for the way he portrayed the officers, especially Will Murdoch.

Somebody should have explained to the man that when you go overboard trying to avoid offending people, you usually end up offending everyone. (Shrug)

Cordially,
michael H. Standart

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Michael and Michael, I agree whole heartedly. That is one of the things that I try to learn more and more about (and the first thing that people seem to overlook)....the Californian, I mean. I still don't agree with or believe the excuses that were given as to why they took no action. The fact that it wasn't in the movie just proved my theory all the more: people are more concerned with glitz and glamour than true to life, heart-breaking drama.

But the thing about the movie that irritated me the most was how they tried to insinuate that the men in the crow's nest could have seen the berg sooner, but they were too busy watching what-ever-their-names-are kissing. That's disgusting.

Some people will do anything for a buck. Or a million.

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kelly,

Welcome aboard! I have a cat as well which I also love to death. I loved the movie, but I also agree with you on the iceberg scene. It was pretty stupid!

Good to hear from you and I look forward to more of your posts.

Best regards,

Jason

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Jason ~

Here's one now: I'm at work, it is boring, and at this moment I would rather sit through the entire movie Titanic (which should tell you how desperate I am).

But no ~ where are you from? How'd you get your Titanic start?

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kelly,

Sounds like you're pretty desperate! I live in Toronto with my parents and I got my start when I was eleven years ago by getting this wonderful book on the Titanic and her sister ships Olympic and Brittanic which I'm proud to say I still have. I was immediately hooked and I wanted to know more and then I did a speech on the Titanic for school. I saw A Night To Remember after that and it hooked me even more.

How about you? How did you get into it?

Best regards,

Jason

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Sorry I haven't written in so long. I wasn't really getting a feel for the page before work took over and I haven't had the time to come back.

Did you read that above? I don't know how I got into the Titanic. It was a whirlwind.....all I know is I've become obsessed. Some people don't like to talk to me about it, and at other times, I don't feel comfortable discussing it. It's definitely a subject I take to heart (and how can you not)?

Oh well...don't really have a whole lot else to say. Hope you're well.

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kelly,

Don't worry about I understand! I read your earlier post. I've missed seeing your posts the last several days.

Titanic is a subject I definitely take to heart as well and you're right, how can you not. I'm also very obsessed about it. I eat, sleep and breathe Titanic.

I'm very well thank you, and I hope you are too.

Great to see your post!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Sorry I haven't written, Jason. I hope this gets to you. But I forgot my password for this site and had to register all over again when I didn't receive a new one through email.

Hope everything is going good for you and that you're well.

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kelly!

I was wondering what happened to you! Don't worry about it.

Everything is going very good for me and I'm very well thank you. I had a wonderful Christmas and a good New Year's and I hope you did too.

Hope everything's good for you and that you're well also, and Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Just a suggestion here Kelly, but you might want to save your username and password in your profile. Therefore you don't have to type them in each time you log on and you won't have to worry about remembering your password. Thanks to Philip Hind for that.

For all I know you may have already done it!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif