Kelly Beth Vogelsong was Here I amagain

• Thread starter Kelly Beth Vogelsong
  • Start date

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Hey y'all! My name is Kelly Beth...I go by KB. Born, raised, and still living in Pennsylvania. It's been a while since I've been to the site and posted anything but I used to visit a lot previously. I see a lot of names I remember, though I'm not so sure you would remember me.

That's about it, I guess. Going to go and check out all the stories, posts, and pictures that I've missed.

Take Care =)

L8r~

KB

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hey Kelly,

I wondered what happened to you! Great to see you back on!
happy.gif

Hope everything is well with you.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Michael, I had my basic training for the Army in South Carolina. What a great state! I love it there...can't say that for PA (that's just me, though).

and Jason! I remember you!! Has it been that long since the last time I was here? 2000? Wow - how have you been?

Take Care.

L8r~

KB

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kelly!

Actually the last time I recall you were here was two years ago. I've been pretty well, thank you. I finally went on my dream trip last July to Ireland! Saw the Harland & Wolff shipyard and met a Titanic survivor, among other exciting things! Then I came back on the QE2 from Southampton to New York for a six day crossing! What a trip, and I'm still living it.
happy.gif

How you been doing?

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I went to Great Mistakes...uh....Great Lakes for my Navy boot camp, and shortly thereafter, drew my assignment to the USS Ranger. There were tough times, some of which I wouldn't care to repeat, but overall, it was a good run. Learned a lot too.

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Jason,

Heya...you want to Harland & Wolff, for real? That is so awesome, I bet it was a blast! Which survivor did you meet and what other kinds of things did you do? That's a dream of mine, too...which I don't think will come true since I won't fly anymore! =(

I'm doing really well. Working a lot and just moved into a new apartment, so I'm still trying to get things in order. Watching my team hit the Superbowl, that sort of thing.

And I printed out a bunch of stuff from the site, so I could read it at work....=)

Take Care.

L8r~

KB

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Michael,

I had some tough times, too. I wasn't even in the Army long before they kicked me out for medical purposes. =(

L8r~

KB

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Bad knees and flat feet (so, why did they let me enlist in the first place)?

L8r~

KB

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Was it waivered at the time or just plain missed? Strange things happen at the MEPS stations. In any event, if it was a problem for you, it may have been just as well that you were discharged. Bad knees and flat feet in a service noted for a lot of legwork don't mix.

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Supposedly, after I was discharged, they told me that I probably only had a slight curve when I entered but that, for whatever reason, they let me slide.

I received an honorable discharge and immediately after I was released attempted to get a waiver to get back in. No go. Went to the Army National Guard. With them it took a year for my waiver to come back rejected.

It's been about 8 years...I've tried to get back in 7 times. I've pretty much given up at this point.

L8r~

KB

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kelly,

Visiting Harland & Wolff was definitely one of the many highlights of the trip. The trip was organized by the Titanic Historical Society and group of us stayed in Ireland for nine days. We started in Dublin, went down the east coast and stayed in Cobh (Queenstown) for three days. While in Cobh we saw the area where Titanic anchored, just off Roches' Point.

After Cobh, we stayed in a different hotel every night. Then we travelled along the south, up the west and along the north. Almost a full circle! We visited a lot of memorials, a few Titanic exhibits, and met the family of Frank Dwan who was a third class passenger. While we were in Belfast, we met the President of the Ulster Titanic Society which was a honour! He saw the Titanic three times, including her launching.

After visiting Harland & Wolff and the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum which has an excellent Titanic exhibit, we flew to London and then travelled to Southampton. We visited a few more memorials, went to a ocean liner memorabilia store and then went to lunch where we met Millvina Dean! I got a few pictures with her and she signed three of my books. She is such a sweet and wonderful lady!

We then visited a couple more Titanic related sites and the Southampton Maritime Museum, before boarding the QE2 for a six day crossing to New York! It was a wonderful time aboard the ship!

After staying in New York for a few days and visiting more Titanic related sites, I flew home. If you're interested, I posted some of my photos from the trip in my profile.

So you don't want to fly anymore, huh? Is it because of Sept 11? Good to hear you're doing well! Which team are you cheering for in the Superbowl?

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Hey J~

I only saw one picture in your profile (are there others)? I saw only the one of you at the staircase, which was really neat, I might add. I'm so glad you had such a great trip. It sounds like you had an absolutely fabulous time!! What was it like to meet Frank Dwan's family? Did they reminisce with you? How did you end up meeting them? I see a lot of posts where people are meeting up with survivors or their family members. Do you plan that in advance or are they at specific places for a purpose? What were the memorials like that you visited? I don't mean to ask so many questions...I just never seem to be able to find out where all these museums, memorials, etc. are. I work on a computer with the world at my fingertips, but sometimes I feel so limited...but anyway - good to see you enjoyed yourself.

My original reason for not wanting to fly again was because: I was flying to South Carolina for Basic Training and upon landing, our plane started on fire. We all got out fine, but it still scared me a lot. Of course, now I'm doubly against it. I don't think they have enough drugs to even get me ON the plane, let alone keep me unconcious the entire flight.

Superbowl? The Oakland Raiders, of course. Love 'em and glad they're finally doing well.
Which I, personally, don't think they have been for some time.

and please, call me KB! =)

Take Care.

L8r~

KB

M

Michael Re Grey

Hello Kelly.
There's so many people here I hope I can catch up with you all. Welcome

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Thanx Michael,

I'm having a hard time catching up with everyone, myself. I had no idea there were so many people from so many different walks of life interested in the Titanic. BUT - I'm really glad to see that is so.

Take Care.

L8r~

KB

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hey KB,

No worries about the questions, I'm happy to answer them. If you click on my name here in the "Introduce Yourself Folder", you'll see a lot of my photos that I posted. I'm glad you like the one in my profile. That was taken in April 2001 at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax. I'm standing in front of a photo of the grand staircase which is on a wall.

It was incredible to meet Frank Dwan's family, mind you that's not the first family I've met of a Titanic passenger. Before meeting the family which included Frank Dwan's grandson, we visited a memorial to Frank Dwan which is one of the photos I posted. One family member did reminisce with me a bit. This was organized by our tour guide and we visited them at their home. They served us a terrific lunch and they were very hospitable. They even invited me to stay with them, the next time I'm in Ireland.

Our meetings with Frank Dwan's family and Millvina Dean were pre-arranged. The memorials that we saw are well kept and very moving.

I can understand why you don't want to fly again. What a horrible experience.

So you're cheering for the Raiders huh? That's good. I'm going to a Superbowl party on the weekend which should be fun.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Heya J~

That's pretty interesting. So the families that you've met are part of a pre-arranged tour? Anyone on such a tour can meet with them? That boggles the mind. They must be very open and giving people to accept so many others interest in such a thing. And quite flattered by it, also, I'm sure. At least, I think I would be in the same situation. How many families have you met with? I feel out of it now! I always thought my interest in the Titanic was of a great proportion but I realize now the lengths some will go to to reach the absolute limit of knowledge and understanding. It intrigues me (and also makes me very envious of your travels)! =)

You cheering for the Raiders also? I should hope so, or I'll be forced to bet against you! ;)

Going to check out your photos now....

Take Care.

L8r~

KB

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hey KB,

Basically what happened was, our tour guide arranged for us to meet Frank Dwan's family which was part of the day's events. You don't have to be on a tour to meet relatives of Titanic victims or survivors. I met the daughter of third class passenger and survivor Neshan Krekorian and her husband a few years ago at a gala opening for a Titanic Exhibition that was here in Toronto, which I worked on. They were very nice people and Neshan's daughter told me about her dad and his experience on the Titanic which was really interesting. That's the only other family I've met.

I'm cheering for the Raiders, not to worry!
happy.gif

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Jason,

Do you have a lot of exhibits there? A lot of galas and get togethers and things of that nature?

One more day! Go Raiders! lol

L8r~

KB