Kenyon Swift and Leader

• Thread starter Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme
  • Start date

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

Hi Everyone,
I noticed that "Tianic voices" mentions that Marion Kenyon is the sister of Mrs. Joel Swift.
Is there any truth in this. Were the Kenyons, Mrs Swift and Dr. Alice Leader related or were they simply good friends. I'm sure the ET biographies are the most reliable source but I'm just checking.
Ben

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Ben:
You made me look quick on that one. Good catch on your part, but I think the authors of "Titanic Voices" confused you a bit. When they referred to Mrs. Kenyon's "sisters" helping in rowing their lifeboat, I think they meant "fellow females." They were just trying to show that the men aboard were incompetent at rowing, and that the women ended up having to row. Mrs. Kenyon, Mrs. Swift, and Dr. Leader were just friends.

In case you're not aware of it, BTW, there's an index to "Titanic Voices" available at Bill Wormstedt's website (see Links, Other).

Mar 10, 1998
Ben,
Marion Estelle (von) Stauffer Kenyon had two sisters--Grace (later Mrs. Davis) who was born December 26, 1873 and died on October 11, 1967, just short of her 94th birthday. The other sister was Maude Valerie (von) Stauffer (later Mrs. Baldwin) who was born May 5, 1876 and died, by coincidence on the same date as her sister Grace--October 11, 1980 (at the ripe old age of 104).

I don't know much about Alice Leader's sisters-their names were Edith Farnham, Anne Dwight, and Lucille Tolles.

Mrs. Swift left two sisters, Eleanor Manville Ford and Bertha Barron Berthald. The sisters were descended from very old New England families and 30 of their male ancestors were graduates of Yale--dating back to 1741. She was also descended from two different Admirals of the US Navy. Mrs. Swift was a true blueblood.

I hope some of the above is of interest.

Phillip

B

Mike and Phil,
Thanks for helping me out. Phillip, I don't suppose you are you from Connecticut because that's a lot of intersting stuff!
I must misinterpreted the source. Were the they (Kenyon etc) among those who wanted to return to the wreck or not, does either of you know? It seems there were a great deal of partings between husbands and wives on boat #8
Warm Regards
Ben

Mar 10, 1998
Ben, I'm not sure about their willingness to go back, but only Mrs. Kenyon had a husband on board so one would hope that at least she would have wanted to.

I'm from Texas (now South Carolina)--have only been to Connecticut once.

Phillip

Mar 20, 2000
Ben,

Mrs. Kenyon was interviewed in the 1950s; that session was tape-recorded and is featured on one of the old Titanic survivor albums that THS used to sell or may still sell. I forget who else was on the record I'm thinking of - I believe Edwina Mackenzie and Washington Dodge, Jr. But I mostly recall Mrs. Kenyon. She was very well-spoken and her story was quite moving.

Randy

B

Thanks Randy,
That's very interesting about Mrs. Kenyon's 1950's recordings. Does she make a lot of reference to her husband, their actions on board ship/during the sinking, acquaintances etc.
Ben

Mar 20, 2000
Ben,

Yes, she tells the whole story. A very sad one. She mentions Mrs. Joel Swift and Dr. Leader. She said they were travelling together or were table companions or something. She made a point to address rumours that there was drunkeness and disorder on the Titanic. I may be wrong but I also recall her having said something about a sailor callapsing over his oar in her lifeboat and that she had to take over rowing. She was living in Santa Monica I think when this interview was done.

Randy

B

Thanks Randy
Sometimes they make titanic documentaries which include recorded voices e.g Edith Russell, Frank Prentice, Lightoller etc. I hope the next one they make will include Mrs. Kenyon's recording. Are there any existing photos of Frederick Kenyon?
Ben

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Does anyone know the age,births, and deaths of these passengers?

Pauline Gibson
Walter Hawksford
Adolphe Saafield
Juliet Taylor
and Gertrude Thorne

Any info will be appreciated.

Mar 10, 1998
Andrew, I have the dates on Pauline Gibson and Walter Hawksford but don't want to make them public just yet (though I think Hawksford's dates may be "out there already." I've been in touch with a great-nephew of Pauline G. and the daughter-in-law and granddaughter of Hawksford and have accumulated some very good information that I hope to have published in some form during the next year. Pauline was an eeeeeevil old woman and looked like a fat toad in her old age. Hawksford was a dapper guy judging by a photo his granddaughter sent me.

I have an approximate date of death on Saalfeld
and am working on that one now.

I don't think anyone has much of a clue on what became of Mrs. Thorne. That may not even have been her real name.

Juliet Taylor was born November 30, 1862 in Smyrna, Delaware and died in Atlantic City, New Jersey on April 23, 1927. I have good photos of Elmer and the two women he married after Juliet's death, but so far, none of Juliet.

Answering your question from another thread on Francatelli, she married fairly late in life to a hotelier but had no children--lived in various countries in Europe and died a very old woman. I'm planning to let Randy Bigham make the exact details known when he publishes his book on Lady Duff-Gordon.

Phillip

Dec 12, 1999
Dear Andrew,

From memory, I believe Mr. Hawksford died in England in 1922. I have the exact date at home but I will not have access to my files until the weekend.

There is a strong possibility that Mrs. Thorne has been found but this is still being worked on.

There is a photograph of Juliet Taylor in existence. The quality is not good but at least we have a picture of her. I sent the image to Phil Hind a short time ago so I'm sure it will be appearing soon.

I will post the data on Mr. Hawksford shortly.

Michael Findlay

Dec 12, 1999
Andrew,

Unfortunately, I cannot answer just when Phil Hind will post the pictures. I know of at least 50 or 60 other pictures that I sent almost a year ago that are still awaiting to be included on the site.

I am sure they will be posted soon. Phil Hind has a busy enough job maintaining and administering the ET so I am sure he will put them up just as soon as he can.

Michael

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Dear Andrew,

Walter James Hawksford was born
30 January 1867 in Kensington, Middlesex
and died on 13 November 1922 in Kingston,
Surrey, England. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian Meister

M

Mac Smith

Hello. Does anyone have any information about Alice Leader, M.D., offering medical aid to survivors aboard the Carpathia?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Private e-mail responses are welcome also.

Sincerely,

Mac Smith

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Mac,

There is no record of Dr. Leader offering any medical assistance aboard the Carpathia. It is certainly possible, however, that she did assist, although she does not say so in any of her accounts.

Like many other first-class women, she probably comforted those who lost relatives, and may have aided some of the third-class women and children.

Hope this is of some help....

Regards,

Mike Findlay