Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2005
Hi, can anyone here tell me on what date were the Mackay-Bennett, Minia, Montmagny and Algerine sent to recover bodies from the sinking site?

And does anyone know on what date and year the Enquiry began?

Jun 12, 2004
Jon-Paul,

According to Eaton and Haas' Triumph and Tragedy, the dates at which each of the ships were dispatched to and from the wreck site are as follow:

MacKay Bennett: 20 April - 4 June
Minia: 26 April - 3 June
Montmagny: 3 April - 12 April
Algerine: 15 May - 8 June

Generally speaking, the time period during which searches were conducted at the wreck site and its surrounding areas extend from late-April to early June. Some ships made more than one trip within this time period.

Be advised that the book doesn't specify exact dates for every ship involved, but the above are the estimated time spans into which each falls. Needless to say that searches commenced right away and were conducted for as long as humanly possible.

As for the Inquiries:

American: 19 April - 25 May
British: 2 May - 3 July

Everything took place and concluded that same year, in 1912.

Sep 3, 2005
Thanks!

Although I'm confused with one... you've listed
Montmagny: 3 April - 12 April

The ship hadn't even set sail on this date?, is this a typo?

Sep 3, 2005
This is the reason I need info, I as hoping someone here might be able to check these dates and tell me if there are any wrong ones, its for a project I'm doing and I need to know correct dates/ key dates for next week... See image below

Any help would be great!

keydates.jpg

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

The ship hadn't even set sail on this date?, is this a typo?

Jon-Paul,

Ah, my mistake! That would be 3 May to 12 May, not April. 3 April would have been pre-tragedy. Sorry about that.

The rest of the dates are correct according to Eaton and Haas' Triumph and Tragedy (c. 1994-95).

I hope this helps.​

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark,

quote:

MacKay Bennett: 20 April - 4 June

That's interesting, since I've never come across June 4 for the MacKay Bennett returning to Halifax. According to this link and from the information that I've read, April 30 was the date she returned with 190 bodies. After the bodies were unloaded, she didn't make any other trips to the wreck site, as the other vessels that were chartered by the White Star Line took over.

Plus, the MacKay Bennett actually departed from Halifax on April 17.​

Jun 12, 2004
Jason,

I could have sworn that Triumph and Tragedy stated June 4, although I cannot presently find it. Perhaps the error occurred in my note-taking.

As for the ship's departure, the 17th is indeed correct, but the same book makes the allusion that its arrival at the site was on the 20th (p. 228-29). Jon-Paul's requested information was for the date of arrival at the wreck site, not the date of departure from Halifax. That is why I stated 20 April.

By the way, thanks for the link, Jason. Jon-Paul, the links for all four rescue ships are collectively below:

* MacKay-Bennett: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ship.php?id=174
* Minia: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ship/181/
* Montmagny: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ship/183/
* Algerine: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ship/133/

If dates are inconsistent, my apologies. I was going by the allusions presented in a book. Misinterpretations sometimes happen when information isn't stated outright.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

but the same book makes the allusion that its arrival at the site was on the 20th

That's right, it was. It took three days for the MacKay Bennett to arrive at the wreck site. My apologies, I thought you were referring to the departure date.

You're welcome for the link.​

Sep 3, 2005
Thanks Mark and Jason... this is ok, I was going to use dates but I don't need to now... still interesting though as its part of the disaster you barely hear about

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'm having trouble reading the dates, Jon-Paul, but you do need to correct the figures for victims & survivors. The most accurate calculations available today provide totals of 1496 lost and 712 saved.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jon-Paul, those are the figures which are now generally accepted and not likely to be revised. you can best gauge their accuracy by reading this article by Lester Mitcham, which explains how they were arrived at:

Sep 3, 2005
Bob,if I were writing this figure do you think it'd be best to write "with the loss of approx 1,496"? or just write it as "with the loss of 1,496"?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Your call, Jon-Paul. If you like round figures then say 'approx 1500'. If you prefer the actual number it's 1496.

Sep 3, 2005
Hi Bob... yeah I'm finding it tuff lol... I've a thread also about this on the titanic model forum and there are 3 figures, one from the Britsih, one from the USA and then this new one whih is backed up with quite a bit of research... what to do!?

Any suggestions?, I've been advised by Art from the model forum not to use "approx" and it does sound kinda disrepectful to do so, you think if I were to write "with the loss of 1,500 or so souls", would it still sound bad?

Jun 12, 2004
Jon-Paul,

With the phrasing of "with the loss of 1,500 or so souls," it seems to imply more than that, which would take you away from this total. As you said, this is backed by more research, so . . . go with the research.

By the way, those other totals are, what, older? Unless I misread the document (I didn't yet read it through thoroughly myself), Lester corrected all of the earlier errors and misconceptions, so his, as Bob has said, is likely the closest count to actuality.

Can [extensive] research such as this unearth inaccuracies? If not, you can use this to support your claims.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.