Kilroy's stoking indicators

B-rad

B-rad

Here is what I got for Olympic as oil burner that is really of use.

How operations worked

Popular Science

Set up of the Olympic

The Oil and Gas Journal

Good Read

Marine Journal

In the first one is a bit about how the indicator was used while Olympic was an oil burner:

Oil burner

Here is a pic of Olympic's boiler room as an oil burner, I highlighted what might be the Kilroy device.

Olympic kilroy

It is similar in appearance to the one Ralph Currell posted in the Titanic model forum.

Kilroy ralph

Reactions: Rancor, Rob Lawes and Lars Lunden
Lars Lunden

Lars Lunden

Thanks! This was very interesting to read. Nice. This also explains why the Indicators was still on the ship by the auction i 1935.
I think you are correct; the highlighted must be the indicator device.

Rancor

Rancor

Will have to check the Honor and Glory Demo 3 again. You can get into the forward end of BR6 and I remember there being at least one stoking regulator there. Their research is top-notch so it would be a pretty safe bet that the configuration they model would be correct.

Lars Lunden

Lars Lunden

As promised, my document with all the information on what I have found on the Kilroy's stoking indicator. Follow this link
(My plan is to update it if I find more) I hope you find it interesting.

Reactions: Rob Lawes, Ioannis Georgiou and B-rad
B-rad

B-rad

Wow!!! Just browsed through this but it looks amazing! Can't wait to read this.

B-rad

B-rad

As promised, my document with all the information on what I have found on the Kilroy's stoking indicator. Follow this link
Just got done reading this! Amazing work! So 1, 2, 3... hummmm, guess Ioannis was right (isn't he always, lol) and my reservations were unneeded. Thanks for writing such a great article!

Reactions: Ioannis Georgiou and Lars Lunden
I

Ioannis Georgiou

Thanks for sharing! Hope will find soon the time to go though it. :)

Reactions: Lars Lunden
B-rad

B-rad

An interesting thing I noticed is the numbers off this picture recently posted on this forum is that the numbers look like 1,3,2. This would make a big difference about having to rake the fires if the other boilers were numbered differently. What do you think?
Tmp 13602 main qimg ebfb104c6cc634febf388b2f2a5f3357662445820

Last edited:
B-rad

B-rad

Lars I guess you're the one that posted the picture, so you've seen it... Sometimes when I'm using my phone to use this site it doesn't show everything. lol :rolleyes:. However, still interested in your thoughts.

Samuel Halpern

Samuel Halpern

I think the system was quite simple. Each double-ended boiler had three furnaces per face: 1, 2, and 3. Each boiler face was worked by one fireman. There were 10 firemen per boiler room, 5 per stokehold, in BRs 2, 3, 4, and 5; and 8 firemen, 4 per stokehold, for BR 6. (Not counting 1 leading fireman per BR, and 2 trimmers per stokehold.)
The duplex indicator dial for a given stokehold showed the furnace number to be fired on each boiler face in that stokehold. The dial cycled through 1-2-3, 1-2-3, ... changing one cycle per firing rate period determined by what was set on the regulator in the engine room. On the other side of a double-ended boiler, the indicator there would cycle through 2-1-3, 2-1-3, ... in step with the changes in the opposite stokehold, being worked off of the same regulator in the engine room. Thus, opposite ends of the same furnace on a double-ended boiler would never be opened at the same time.
DEboiler

Reactions: Rancor and Lars Lunden
Lars Lunden

Lars Lunden

Lars I guess you're the one that posted the picture, so you've seen it... Sometimes when I'm using my phone to use this site it doesn't show everything. lol :rolleyes:. However, still interested in your thoughts.

Yes, it was me who posted :p.

From the sources found I can only think there was 3 numbers on Titanic. (I'm still looking if there is more information to be found) The Evershed & Vignoles catalogues also show the furnaces to be numbered [1] [3] [2] on the boilers.

From multiple stoking manuals, however, I've not been able to find any information on which direction to stoke double-end boilers. I think the most fale-safe is to stoke in the same direction in both stokeholds. Remember - there is also a delay between the two stokeholds; one will always be ahead of the other. This will also make raking easy.
In the lowest time setting on the regulator, 480 sec, each of the numbers are visible in 160 sec and you will have a 80 sec delay between the stokeholds.

I will attach an illustration i'm drafting my thoughts on.
Black numbers = The brass or malleable numbers fitted on the boilers
Red numbers = The order which the furnaces are to be fired

When "Fire Furnace No. 1" all # 1 doors are fired, but not at the same time to prevent more than one door open at the same time.
Titanic stoking 1 jpg

Titanic stoking 1

Reactions: B-rad
B-rad

B-rad

I believe you've out done yourself my friend, fantastic article and easy to read and understand. Did you draw the wiring diagram? I can't blow it up enough to read the print. I believe your research would be a great addition to future publications of Titanic the Ship Magnificent! (never mind, got it to finally blow up big enough, just wanted to be stubborn.)

Reactions: Lars Lunden
Lars Lunden

Lars Lunden

Thanks. Yes i have drawn the wiring diagram myself. I have attached a better quality of it. It has been fun researching. Who knows. Maybe there is more to be found.
Wonder if all have been scrapped or if there is any indicators who have survived; it was used on many different ships.

Olympic and Titanic used the same type; a single gong duplex indicator. But I wonder if Britannic was installed with the improved Duplex indicator; like the one pictured in your post # 31 of SS Justicia.

Attachments

• Stoking indicators wiring diagram.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 353