Latest ferry disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
I woke about 9.30 this morning after dreaming this:

Myself and about a hundred friends and work colleagues of mine were being evacuated for some undeterminable reason and the only way to cross this big stretch of water was in a huge inflatable dinghy-thing. So we all started piling on and I suggested that before we left, we all write our names and where we were from. Someone asked why and I replied that as there was every chance we wouldn't make it, if we left the list with someone back on shore, they would at least know what happened to us if we didn't get to the other side. No-one would know how many, let alone their names.

Now, I know this is a stupid dream but it woke me up because of the sense of urgency. I immediately knew there had been a disaster at sea and so I rushed downstairs, switched on my TV and heard that between 400 and 500 people had drowned after a ferry sank in a storm off Bangladesh. None of the circumstances appear to have been applicable to my dream but I just KNEW something had happened at sea. The only similarity is the unknown number of people on board. Just thought I'd mention it as it's extremely doubtful that this will stay in the headlines for more than a day and there is an awful loss of life happening. As of now, they are still looking for survivors.

Cheers,

Boz

Jul 14, 2000
Sorry, that was rude of me to say.
I shouldn't make light of your experience.
I wouldn't want to wake up that way, and then discover that my bad dream was realized somehow.

Very creepy.

Yuri

Mar 28, 2002
Nah, Yuri, don't worry about it - I've had a few dreams where I've woke up and thought "somethings's happened" and 9 times out of ten it ain't.
The dream was probably telling me that I shouldn't do anymore stupid trips to Bosnia and Albania without telling anyone where I'm going first (like I have done in the past - silly me).

Cheers,

Boz

Jul 14, 2000
Our local news is reporting that the ferry capsized in a storm. That it was crossing a river and that many people swam to shore and survived. The death toll is reported to be 'dozens', not hundreds.

Probably you're right about the story being forgotten by tomorrow. So we may never hear the 'official' death count as it will take a while to determine exactly what happened and how many perished. By then, no one will care about it anymore. At least not here in the US anyway.

Later
Yuri

Mar 28, 2002
Sky News is still reporting "up to 500" aboard with 60 survivors and one body found. Apparently, passenger numbers are virtually non-existent in that part of the world as passenegers tend to board and then pay before disembarking. As this was a double-decker ferry, it's believed to have been "very overcrowded".
You're right - we will never know and few people will care.

Cheers,

Boz

Mar 28, 2002
For the record, more than 320 bodies have now been recovered from the wreck of the MV Salahuddin ferry and dozens are thought to have been swept down river. Bloated corpses have been sighted miles downstream so the death toll will rise. Around 100 people survived. Most of the bodies are being buried on the riverbank as authorities say they are in no fit state to transport any further.
Incidentally, the disaster happened on the same stretch of river that claimed 600 lives in a 1986 ferry disaster.

Lest we forget,

Boz

Jul 14, 2000
You'd think someone would build a bridge. With so many lives lost trying to cross the same river by ferry.

Yuri

Mar 28, 2002
Being Bangladesh, that would probably collapse too, what with the weight of so many overcrowded buses and trucks.

Can't win really.

Cheers,

Boz

Status
Not open for further replies.