Latin Poem written after the sinking

Tim Kennedy

Jan 9, 2015
Hi All,

My great great grandfather was Judge Sir William Rann Kennedy who framed the basis for the International Law of Civil Salvage that is followed today.
He was also a classics scholar.

After the disaster he wrote a poem in Latin in honour of the engineers who died trying to save the Titanic. I have been unable to locate it anywhere.

Has anyone come across it ?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Attachments

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Your Great-Great Grandfather may have had it published in one of the days leading newspapers or journals, so I would try searching on the British Newspaper Archive: Home | Search the archive | British Newspaper Archive

A subscription is required for home use but some UK public libraries offer free unlimited access to this resource.

Interestingly the fella who in 1892 narrowly defeated your Great-Great Grandfather in the contest to be Member of Parliament for the St Helen's constituency - Sir Harry Seton-Karr - drowned when the Empress of Ireland went down in 1914.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There is a Titanic connection here. After White Star was found negligent in the British civil claims court, the case went to the Court of Appeal. Sir William Rann Kennedy was one of three judges who heard the appeal and found the original finding to be correct.