Launch and war photos

Jan 21, 2003
I'm looking for photos from the QE's launch and wartime service for drawings i'm doing for an upcoming book. Any help would be great. Thanks

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here is one for you. This snapshot came out of an album kept by a New Zealander during WW2, and is far more clear than this scan makes it appear.
96640.jpg

Jan 21, 2003
Thanks for the photo Jim, another request, do any photos exist of either of the Queen's and either britannic or georgic?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Chris, I do not understand the question. I have snapshots of both Queens and three of the Britannics. Were you specifically requesting photos of them in their military paint schemes?

Jan 21, 2003
I meant either the QM or QE with either the Britannic III or Georgic next to her *like at the piers in NY or Southampton. Doesnt have to be in war colors either. Sorry for the confusion.

Apr 1, 2005
Hi Chris,most of the launch pictures as well as the construction pictures that I have seen of both QM and QE are in the John Brown collection which is held by the scottish records office in Edinburgh. There is also a picture of HMS VANGUARD leaving the clyde after construction with QE at anchor in the background with the upper decks being repainted out of wartime colours
there is also a book called i believe Liners at war which could be of interest
regards Malcolm