Lawrence Beesley

A

Alexis N. Marlow

In Mr. Beesley's book, The Loss of the SS Titanic, he mentioned the near-collision with the New York. He wrote, "...it reminded me too of seeing in my little boy's bath..." As much as I've searched, I can't find anything about any son of Beesley's, except a sentence in a book, reading, "Mr. Beesley's wife had recently died, and leaving his small son in the care of relatives, he decided to take a round trip cruise to take her death off of his mind."
If anyone could help me identify the name and age of this son of Beesley's and how Mrs. Beesley happened to die, I would much appreciate it.
Regards,
Alexis Marlow

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi Alexis,

I've done a bit of research into Lawrence Beesley and his book so I may be of some help.

Lawrence's son was named Alec Mecbeth Beesley (Macbeth was his mother's - Gertrude Cecile Macbeth Beesley - maiden name. Alec was born on November 17th, 1903.

If you'd like to read a bit more about all this, go to the Lawrence Beesley article:
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/articles/beesley_cook.shtml

Hope this has been of help.

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Forgot your other question - "Cissy' Beesley died in 1906 after suffering for 3 years from phthisis (a respiratory ailment, to the best of my knowledge) coupled with cardiac failure.

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
To George - Thanks, O M. I found Conmsumption or Tuberculosis and even an eye disease.

To Dave - now, that's the phthilliest thing I ever read!

Best regards,
Cook

A

Alexis N. Marlow

Thanks for all the information. Mr. Beesley is one of my favorite passengers, and you guys have all been really helpful.
Sorry for my late response, on Friday I was chaperoning on a field trip to the Newport Aquarium. We went on a 2hr riverboat ride, then to a haunted steamboat afterwards. Although myself, one other chaperone and twelve students did not go, 143 students and the other 13 C.P.'s did. We had two asthma attacks, one broken finger, two girls fainted(they were sisters), one boy whose head was nearly severed from the madman with the chainsaw, one girl choked, and at least 125 students crying. Mind you these were 6th, 7th, and 8th graders, and there were quite a few 8th grade boys crying. Three times we had to call the ambulance, one for the two girls with asthma, and one for the younger sister who fainted. All in all, not a pretty field trip.
Thanks again for the information!
Alexis Marlow

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Glad to be of help. I believe I'd much rather be doing what I'm doing than what you're doing. Yeow! what a field trip!

Best regards,
Cook

N

naomi austin

Does anyone know if any of Lawrence Beesley's family are still around? I have been reading his account of the tragedy and would love to find out more about him.
naomi.austin@bbc.co.uk

Jude

Apr 8, 2012
England
Hello,

Pat Cook, if you still look in here, that was a great article.

I was sent an email this morning inviting me to come back to these forums again. It's been a long time since I last posted, but I found (which somehow I had missed the first time round) a thread which interested me:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/community/threads/lightoller-the-christian-scientist.19008/

As I explained when I posted some links to the letters Lightoller had written for the Christian Science Sentinel, all past periodicals have now been transcribed and are online, so while I was visiting, I thought I'd post a link to Beesley's Titanic experience too.

It would be impossible within a limited space to do more...

During the 100th anniversary of the sinking, there was an interesting article published in a newspaper by Beesley's granddaughter. I'll see if I can find it.

I like the new format of these forum pages - clean and spacious.