LbAtlantique Queen of the South Atlantic by Les Streater

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Just received, today, a copy of Les Streater's 2005 book l'Atlantique: Queen of the South Atlantic, and after reading it I cannot recommend it highly enough! l'Atlantique, for those not familiar, was a Normandie equivalent on the South American run, with interiors that equalled and in many cases surpassed those of her better known 'cousin' for want of a better term. She was introduced in late 1931 and destroyed by fire in early 1933, so even in her own time she was little known. Despite the brief life of the liner, Mr. Streater managed to fill 120 pages without resorting to padding, with the section pertaining to the fire particularly interesting. The book is lavishly illustrated, with both color and black and white views, and as a bonus sports a cover painting by Stephen Card, the world's foremost maritime artist. If you can pick this up on Amazon, do so, for it is worth the cover price!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The arson angle is of particular note. The destruction of l'Atlantique is like a fusion of those of the Georges Phillipar and Paris, the other notable French liner arsons of the 1930s. Mr. Streater posts a long list of questions raised during, but not answered by his research.

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Jim I would 2nd that on the book, just reading a copy now. Some fabulous detailed pictures. If fact the more I read about the French ships the more impressed I become. Is it me but they don’t seem to have got the due kudos they deserve, compared to other lines there are precious few books on the shelf.

regards
Derek.

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi Jamie, the book does contain a partial plan for the floor containing the shopping boulevard, but that is all it has for deck plans. If this ship interests you I highly recommend this book. It is profusely illustrated with many photos of L'Atlantique, which considering her short tenure in service, is quite remarkable. There are also many photos of the ships that preceded her on the South Atlantic run for CGT, including Burdigala (ex. Kaiser Friederich), another ship with a brief history in service and few photos in other books. Hope that helps!

Russell