LEAST FAVOURITE LINER

Apr 23, 2002
OK, we had the top 10 liners, now lets have the liner that you value the least and why?

For me, I think it is the second Mauretania.
Im not sure why. There was something about her appearance that I never liked and the ship just didnt seem to do the name justice like her predecessor had.
Am I being unfair ?

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
I think so - perhaps it is just that the name is so redolent with nostalgia that any other ship bearing the name is up against it ? To me, she was a rather lovely ship with a well balanced profile, rather like a pocket ' Queen Elizabeth' - I suspect that had she been called something like, say, Caronia or Carpathia even, she would be better regarded ?

Hmm - how about L'Atlantique from 1930 - squat, ill balanced looks AND almost as disasterous a ship as the ' Titanic' ?

I'm not big on the two late Italian liners either - ' Michaelangelo ' and ' Raffaelo' ( IIRC ) - with those horrid funnels that looked like a pile of randomly assembled scaffolding ?

Apr 22, 2012
I don't much care for the liners of the 1960's. They just don't seem to have the same look and "feel" as the older ones did.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Anything built by Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and other current-day cruise lines qualify as the least favorites, in my opinion.

Adam

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Does a cruise ship qualify as a liner? I'm not too sure - different roles, surely? I always thought the true liners died out after the aeroplane took over as the preferred way to cross the pond.

Either way, I don't like the look of most of 'em. Although I'll admit the Aurora has a certain something...

Regards,
Paul

Apr 23, 2002
P & 0 Victoria is another I dont like.
When she was refitted for their services, they made a dogs dinner of her.
Removing the forward funnel and making the aft funnel into a cone shap ruined the lines of the former Kungsholm - anyone agree?
I say refit her back to the way she was.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dave Moran said; "Hmm - how about L'Atlantique from 1930 - squat, ill balanced looks AND almost as disasterous a ship as the ' Titanic' ?"

Well, I'll say one thing for the French, when they make them attractive, like the Normandie, they don't come any better. When they make them ugly, they don't come any uglier.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I don't like the modern cruise liners either....look like top heavy floating condominiums.

Don't care too much for the appearance of the Andrea Doria...kind of dumpy looking. Nothing of the ocean greyhound about this ship.

Apr 22, 2012
Yeah, modern cruise ships are nothing compared to the great transatlantic liners of days passed. Like Tracy said, they're ugly!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

J

John Meeks

Modern cruise ships aren't liners at all - just "maxi-houseboats".

On the other hand, though...I have to admit that I've never been too keen on the United States. To me, her funnels were far too big.

Regards,

John M

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I've never been too fond of the Georgic, which was the last liner built for White Star. Her funnels were too small, it almost looks like they were crushed.

I agree with Tracy also, some of the cruise ships are just plain ugly!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I saw Aurora close up a few weeks ago and she looked pretty good. The high standard of finish and maintenance was obvious. The thing that makes some of the cruise ships unattractive is the way the sides are lined with little boxes, each containing separate accomodation. Crystal Symphony looks like a big set of pigeon holes.

The whole of nautical history is one of appearances unacceptable to one generation becoming admired in later years. At one time, any yacht without a good sheer was considered ugly, but today we happily accept no sheer or even reverse sheer. It's all a matter of taste, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I must agree. Those new cruise liners that look like a block of flats with a pointy bit stuck on the front are dreadful. I must say that, for all her technological wonders, I always found the United States to be no oil painting. Then there was an Italian liner, whose name I forget, which capsized on launching. She must have been a real beauty...

M

Mikael Jonsson

My least favourite liner is SS United States. The reason is simple. The ship is so ugly. Just look at the funnels.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Italian liner which rolled over and sank on her lauching was the Principesse Jolanda. It's rather funny to read about it over 90 years after the event as a lot of dignitaries, including senators and members of the Italian nobility turned up for this little soiree.

I can only imagine their reactions as this fully completed vessel slid into the water, slowly rolled over onto her port side and sank. Fortunately, nobody was killed, although I'll bet a few careers ended that day. The ship was written off as a total loss and scrapped in situ.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

J

John Meeks

Twenty bucks says that the owner turned to the designer and said.... "I want to see you in my office...now!"

I'd have bought tickets for that one!

Regards,

John M

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'd have liked to record the execution, ooops, er, uh, chat for posterity.
evil.gif

I don't think it would be the designer called on the carpet though. From what I read, there were problems with the ways which were apparently too steep. I suspect some of the yards engineers would have ended up with their heads on a pike for this little goof.

As to least favourite liner, I have to admit I never really gave this a lot of thought. Though as I said, you would have to work mighty hard to beat L'Atlantique for sheer ugliness.

Anybody have any candidates?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Well, I have to admit that the Carpathia was no beauty queen. Great personality, though!

Somehow, those German four stackers do nothing for me. They lacked the grace of their English counterparts in particular. Perhaps it was the gap between the forward two funnels and the aft pair. Would there have been any reason for that? And that darned silly eagle must be the ugliest thing ever stuck on a vessel larger than a rowboat...