LEAST FAVOURITE LINER

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Matthew, the Germans used pairs of funnels so that there was room for a long dining saloon between them. I agree that they didn't look too good. The eagle on Imperator had its wings taken off by the North Atlantic at the first opportunity, which shows that not even the North Atlantic is all bad.

For real ugliness, you need a freighter. Where I live, we get car carriers and live sheep transports. Hard to say which are worst.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Don't know too much about sheep transports, but I would think it's hard to imagine anything uglier afloat than a car carrier. We do get them here as well, and floating boxes is about the only way to describe them.

Apr 23, 2002
The former german four funneller, Viktoria Luise, was converted into the terrible looking Hansa - a lot worse than she had looked before.

Wasnt the large eagle on the bow of Imperator installed in order so the Germans could proclaim Imperator, the 'Longest in the World'?

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Dave Gittins,

I agree with you about bulk car carriers. They come here on average two a month with their cheap import cars to clog up our already cluttered roadways! and pollute our planet.

A U boat off Pencarrow Head please!

Martin

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Greg. Yes, that woeful eagle was a rather transparent attempt to turn the Imperator into the world's longest ship. As Dave said, the North Atlantic showed impeccable taste and ripped the wings off the thing in no time flat. Afterwards, Imperator was a much nicer looking ship than many of her German contemporaries, in my humble opinion.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
One thing I'll say in favour of car carriers; you don't have to worry about whether or not you're downwind of them. With livestock carriers...phew!
lame.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Yes, Greg, the eagle was added to make Imperator longer than Aquitania.

Car carriers are quite weird. We get examples that are about the same GRT as Titanic but they are about 300' shorter. All that volume is crammed into beam and height. American petrolheads will soon be seeing a Pontiac GTO again, courtesy of the car carriers and Adelaide, South Oz. It's not much like the original. It goes where it's pointed and it has real brakes!

J

John Meeks

Michael,

You think livestock carriers have...an aroma...?

I remember, when I was a boy, I visited one of my father's ships at drydock in South Shields, England. To reach 'our' ship, we had to cross a Norwegian whale factory ship...

PHEEEEEW!

Thank goodness there aren't too many of them around these days!

Regards,

John M

J

John Meeks

Dave G.....

Just an afterthought - as a 'pom' living amongst our N. American cousins, and with regard to the Pontiac GTO...

I do trust that your friends at the Holden plant remembered to put the steering wheels on the 'right' side...? (We'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the brakes...!)

Good on y'mate...

John M

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
On the subject of livestock carriers, wasn't RMS Carpathia one at some point? I remember looking at what appeared to be accomodations for livestock in a set of deck plans, but didn't know what to make of it.

Adam

Jul 10, 2009
1 L'Atlantique
2 Bremen/Europa
3 All Modern Cruise Liners
4 United States
5 Olympic (Sorry Everybody)
6 Queen Elizabeth
7 Kaisern Augusta Viktoria
8 Great Eastern
9 Achille Lauro
10 Mauritania
Here's my bottom ten list

J

John Meeks

How dare you include Great Eastern, sir!

John M

(...Everything else...is OK...)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Awwwwwww c'mon, other then the fact that the Great Eastern was a commercial failure because she was never employed on the England to Australia run for which she was designed, what was wrong with her?

Cordially,
Micahel H. Standart

D

Daniel Odysseus

My least favorite ship would have to be Californian. Not only was she horrendously ugly, but she refused to respond to the Titanic's calls.. I don't know... I'm a little partial, I guess, because I love the Titanic.

-Daniel Odysseus

Apr 23, 2002
I actually think there was something nice about the Carpathia.

Ile De France - better with 3 or 2 funnels?
I think the 2 after the War

Liberte - better with dome on funnels or without?
I say without

Georgic - better with 2 funnels or 1?
I think the 2 gave her a more balanced look

These questions could go on forever!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't think the Californian was especially ugly, the controversy surrounding her notwithstanding. Not that she was a thing of any great beauty, but then she was a freighter. A pretty utilitarian ship with the look to match, but she looked better then a lot of similar ships.

Now those three that Mark posted a link to, well, they'll never be in any danger of getting a prize for their appearance. Especially the Bardic. Yuk.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart