LEAST FAVOURITE LINER

J

John Meeks

Hi folks...back again..'bin busy...

What was wrong with (my great love) Great Eastern?

...well...lots, actually....

...BUT...!

I know the old girl wasn't successful, or that beautiful, but there's a charm a charysma about her! (Remember - this thread isn't about the ugliest liner...!)

But anything or anyone who is a loser like she was, just has to elicitate some sympathy.

An "ugly duckling charm"....?

Good Heavens - she was the Ozzie Osbourne of her day...!

Best Regards,

John M

Jun 8, 2002
What a fun thread!

With the exception of her two funnels being placed too far aft, I have to take exception with a negative assessment of the "Michelangelo". Just today, while driving with my 15-year-old daughter, I told her how much I wish she could go back in time with me to appreciate a winter, 1975, crossing I made on her as a student. Long, white and elegant, with perfect sheer and proportion, her designers wanted and achieved unusually clean lines, in part by limiting the number of ugly portholes in her side. This resulted in comparitively few outside cabins, even in first class, but her interiors more than made up for this.

Apart from the modern "shoebox" cruise ships, my least favorite liner is the "Southern Cross". I guess I have a problem with funnels placed that far aft, for whatever reason.

Doug

Jun 18, 2007
For myself, any of the early steamers would have to qualify as eyesores. There's just something about the combination of sails and a smokestack that looks rather bizarre.

And yes, the United States qualifies for the "Fugly" award.

Am I the only one who thinks the stern of the Vedic has a similarity with the back of a Beetle?

As for modern cruise ships...BLAEH!!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2011
Easilly the White Star motor ships Britannic and Georgic. Just plain UGLY!!

Though the ss United States had a beautiful exterior, her interior was plain and barren- First class on the United States resembled 3rd class on the Olympic...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 10, 2009
The interiors of the U.S. is what I hate. About as elegant as a doctors office waiting room.
I see no one complained when i mentioned Q E!

M

Michael Re Grey

Who said Olympic was uguly? John-Maxtone Graham said that the Olympic and her sisters achieved a balance that other liners did not achieve. comparing to the Imperator (need I say more ) and the Aquitania basicly a jumble of deckhouses and sharp edges with too many ventilators ( they should of taken notice of the Olympics ventilation system. Now the real ugly has to be One of the new Disney cruise ships (not a liner but still a passenger vessel) who was the nit that put Mickey Mouse on the funnels almost makes the ship laughable and dose nothing for their reputation. This would be followed by the bulging belly of the William Ruys and followed by the L'Atlantique' It is suprising it never capsized.

I've wanted to vent this for ages! thanks for the thread.

Michael

Jul 10, 2009
It's been awhile! I never said that the Olympic was ugly. This is a thread about the worst liners! I would (gulp) include Titanic among them had she lived. Awaiting the tomatoes you will throw at me,

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I know for sure I would never want to go on either one of the Disney Cruise Line's 2 ships. It is to much geared for little kids. I think that the Disney Cruise Line is such a Mickey Mouse Line. HA HA Just a joke. But seriously my favorite cruise line is Cunard. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Sad thing about those Disney ships is that they have AMAZING interiors (go to www.mytravelco.com and take the virtual tour) many of which would not have been out of place on the classic era liners, and the vast majority of the trvelling public- those for whom Disney does not suggest 'great vacation' will never see them. One particular neat feature is that every cabin has one and half bathrooms. Massive effort was put into making these two liners as traveller friendly as possible and then they had to screw the concept up by adding the 'love it or hate it' Disney elements. I'd continue with the "such a Mickey Mouse line" riff, but that would be Goofy. Heh heh.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I wonder if the captains of the Disney Cruise Line Ships have to wear those silly Mickey Mouse ears as part of their uniform? HA HA HA. Just one of my corny jokes. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>This is a thread about the worst liners! I would (gulp) include Titanic among them had she lived. <<

No tomatos, although hand grenades might not be out of the question.
evil.gif

Seriously, why would the Titanic be one of the worst. By the standards of the time, I would say the Olympics were a very well balanced and comfortable design and pretty good seaboats to boot. The Olympic was a very popular ship, and I daresay would have remained such for a few more years were it not for the Great Depression.

P

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship

Michael, have you seen the Ugly Ship Contest thread? It's down in October of '02. Now some of those ships are REALLY ugly!

Pat W.

N

Nathan Good

I completely agree with Michael. I don't know anyone can label ships that were the standard of the day terrible liners, or even substandard. They were the best in the world at the time, I don't think anything ever labelled 'best in the world' was substandard. I'd like to hear some reasoning behind labelling the Titanic to this category.

Take Care

Jul 10, 2009
Well, it is this simple, the category is LEAST FAVORITE LINER. I think the Titanic's accomodations were the best on the sea. Buuut,I judge ships by:
a) Accomodations (Only category that Titanic is a winner in)
b) Exterior (Even though this is not the ugliest ship category,It is still important to me, I think she does look a little (another gulp) ugly)
and c) Their Public Rooms (Lusy is far superior. Titanic and Mauretania are just too old fashioned, Lusy was modern for the era.)
Sorry, but...Titanic would have been around 15 to 20 on my list.

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Michael!
Thats heresy! The L'Atlantiqe was for all practical purposes a Normandie prototype..
Her interior, at first glance, could be confused with Normanidie, as they both has the same art deco decor...
Of course her exterior was not as graceful...

regards

Tarn Stephanos