1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Legend/KEY to deck plans

Discussion in 'Plans Specifications' started by JJAstorII, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JJAstorII

JJAstorII Member

I tried to search the forum to try to avoid a duplicate question but couldn't find any accurately answered.

Can anyone provide a general key/legend tot he deck plans? Like what's:

W (waste? but they seem too big for that):
    DT:
    FL:
    O:
    H (heater?):

Ajmal Dar likes this.
  2. codad1946

codad1946 Member

Could you post a picture of these deck plans with the letters on? I haven't noticed them on any that I have.

Ajmal Dar likes this.
  3. TimTurner

TimTurner Member

I think he's referring to the Bruce Beveridge blueprints on this site (Titanic Deckplans)

Does anybody know why the legend isn't on the digital version?

Ajmal Dar likes this.
  4. TimTurner

TimTurner Member

I would guess
    DT = Dressing Table/Drawing Table
    W = Wardrobe
    H is probably heater
    O is probably not a letter, but a graphical depiction of a wash basin.
    I don't know what FL means, but I'm pretty sure here's a picture of one: Titanic - 2nd Class Two Berth Stateroom on the back wall.

Ajmal Dar likes this.
  5. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

FL = Folding Lavatory (washstand).

JJAstorII and Ajmal Dar like this.
  6. Ajmal Dar

Ajmal Dar Member

Can anyone supply a COMPLETE list of all of the abbreviations used on Bruce Beveridges deckplans and not just an incomplete listing. Much appreciated if you can.

Regards,

Ajmal

7. Philip Hind

Philip Hind Staff Member

I'll ask Bruce

Ajmal Dar likes this.
  8. Paul Rogers

Paul Rogers Member

As this thread exists, may I ask another question?

In this image, can anyone tell me what the letters Q, M and K refer to? We're looking at E-Deck. The letter B also appears towards the bow, which seems to indicate a numbering system running from forward to aft. They don't appear to match the bulkheads, which ran from A to P (so no 'Q').

Thanks.

9. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I think it's referring to the what tight compartments ???

10. Athlen

Athlen Member

Those are sections of the Third Class accommodation. In First and Second class the staterooms were given a deck letter and number, for example C 16 would be on the on the port side of C Deck. In Third Class the cabins were simply numbered from 1 to 221 or so, but the sections of the ship were given letter designations. Section "A" was the 3rd Class Open Space on D Deck. Section "B" was immediately beneath A on E Deck. C was below B and D was below C on G Deck. Then came section E on F Deck; section F was on G Deck, and then G on E Deck.

It worked something like this:
    Aft Forward
    D Deck: O x x x x x x A
    E Deck: Q M K x x x x B
    F Deck: R x x J H G E C
    G Deck: S N x x x x F D

Ignore the x's, I had to put them in so the table would align properly. A, J and H were public spaces, not staterooms, and there was no I. I'm not sure about L and P, they may have been reserved for 2nd class spaces that could be used as 3rd class if needed.

Does this help? I know it's a little confusing but that's how they designated Third Class spaces on Titanic.

Paul Rogers likes this.
  11. Paul Rogers

Paul Rogers Member

Thanks, Athlen; it does indeed help!

12. WC = Wash Closet

DC Heater = Direct Contact Heater (Found in engine room casing, as part of the steam system)