Legend/KEY to deck plans

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I tried to search the forum to try to avoid a duplicate question but couldn't find any accurately answered.

Can anyone provide a general key/legend tot he deck plans? Like what's:

W (waste? but they seem too big for that):
DT:
FL:
O:
H (heater?):

Reactions: Ajmal Dar

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Can anyone supply a COMPLETE list of all of the abbreviations used on Bruce Beveridges deckplans and not just an incomplete listing. Much appreciated if you can.

Regards,

Ajmal

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
As this thread exists, may I ask another question?

In this image, can anyone tell me what the letters Q, M and K refer to? We're looking at E-Deck. The letter B also appears towards the bow, which seems to indicate a numbering system running from forward to aft. They don't appear to match the bulkheads, which ran from A to P (so no 'Q').

Thanks.

Athlen

Apr 14, 2012
Those are sections of the Third Class accommodation. In First and Second class the staterooms were given a deck letter and number, for example C 16 would be on the on the port side of C Deck. In Third Class the cabins were simply numbered from 1 to 221 or so, but the sections of the ship were given letter designations. Section "A" was the 3rd Class Open Space on D Deck. Section "B" was immediately beneath A on E Deck. C was below B and D was below C on G Deck. Then came section E on F Deck; section F was on G Deck, and then G on E Deck.

It worked something like this:
Aft Forward
D Deck: O x x x x x x A
E Deck: Q M K x x x x B
F Deck: R x x J H G E C
G Deck: S N x x x x F D

Ignore the x's, I had to put them in so the table would align properly. A, J and H were public spaces, not staterooms, and there was no I. I'm not sure about L and P, they may have been reserved for 2nd class spaces that could be used as 3rd class if needed.

Does this help? I know it's a little confusing but that's how they designated Third Class spaces on Titanic.

Reactions: Paul Rogers

Andrew R.

Mar 12, 2019
I hope I am doing this correctly, that is adding another question to this thread. As this thread is in regards descrbing the legend, or key, to Bruce's deckplans, I am curious to know if the centerline odepicted on each deck with graduations running out from midships are frame numbers or a measurement of sorts.