Legend/KEY to deck plans

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I tried to search the forum to try to avoid a duplicate question but couldn't find any accurately answered.

Can anyone provide a general key/legend tot he deck plans? Like what's:

W (waste? but they seem too big for that):
DT:
FL:
O:
H (heater?):

Reactions: 1 user

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
I would guess
DT = Dressing Table/Drawing Table
W = Wardrobe
H is probably heater
O is probably not a letter, but a graphical depiction of a wash basin.
I don't know what FL means, but I'm pretty sure here's a picture of one: Titanic - 2nd Class Two Berth Stateroom on the back wall.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
As this thread exists, may I ask another question?

In this image, can anyone tell me what the letters Q, M and K refer to? We're looking at E-Deck. The letter B also appears towards the bow, which seems to indicate a numbering system running from forward to aft. They don't appear to match the bulkheads, which ran from A to P (so no 'Q').

Thanks.

Jay Roches

Apr 14, 2012
Those are sections of the Third Class accommodation. In First and Second class the staterooms were given a deck letter and number, for example C 16 would be on the on the port side of C Deck. In Third Class the cabins were simply numbered from 1 to 221 or so, but the sections of the ship were given letter designations. Section "A" was the 3rd Class Open Space on D Deck. Section "B" was immediately beneath A on E Deck. C was below B and D was below C on G Deck. Then came section E on F Deck; section F was on G Deck, and then G on E Deck.

It worked something like this:
Aft Forward
D Deck: O x x x x x x A
E Deck: Q M K x x x x B
F Deck: R x x J H G E C
G Deck: S N x x x x F D

Ignore the x's, I had to put them in so the table would align properly. A, J and H were public spaces, not staterooms, and there was no I. I'm not sure about L and P, they may have been reserved for 2nd class spaces that could be used as 3rd class if needed.

Does this help? I know it's a little confusing but that's how they designated Third Class spaces on Titanic.

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
WC = Wash Closet

DC Heater = Direct Contact Heater (Found in engine room casing, as part of the steam system)

Andrew R.

Mar 12, 2019
I hope I am doing this correctly, that is adding another question to this thread. As this thread is in regards descrbing the legend, or key, to Bruce's deckplans, I am curious to know if the centerline odepicted on each deck with graduations running out from midships are frame numbers or a measurement of sorts.

B

Bob_Read

Hi Andrew: They are indeed frame numbers. The interframe distances are smaller at the ends of the ship.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Can anyone supply a COMPLETE list of all of the abbreviations used on Bruce Beveridges deckplans and not just an incomplete listing.
Here you go:

Reactions: 3 users

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Hi. I'm Damian. I come from Poland. I don't know English so I'm sorry in advance for spelling ;) I've been interested in Titanic for 20 years. Some time ago I started translating Titanic's plans into Polish. Unfortunately, I have encountered several problems that I cannot translate. I couldn't find any information on this topic anywhere and I thought that the forum community could help me. But to the point.
1. On the boat deck next to chimney number 1 near the bridge there is the abbreviation: H.S.W.T. Does anyone know what he means?
2. On deck C there is a crews galley in the bow. There is the abbreviation 80 G BLR. I don't know what he means either.
Thank you in advance for each answer.

Plans that I use

Feb 23, 2019
France
1. On the boat deck next to chimney number 1 near the bridge there is the abbreviation: H.S.W.T. Does anyone know what he means?
2. On deck C there is a crews galley in the bow. There is the abbreviation 80 G BLR. I don't know what he means either.
Thank you in advance for each answer.

Hi Damian,
(1) For the H.S.W.T. I would say it has yo do with Water pipes, maybe something like High Supply/Standing Water Tank, check that : Titanic Funnel Water Pipes Atricle from titanic-cad-plans.com
(2) For the 80 G BLR, I would guess : 80 Gallons Boiler ? Not sure about that...