Legend/KEY to deck plans

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
1. On the boat deck next to chimney number 1 near the bridge there is the abbreviation: H.S.W.T. Does anyone know what he means?
2. On deck C there is a crews galley in the bow. There is the abbreviation 80 G BLR. I don't know what he means either.
Thank you in advance for each answer.

Hi Damian,
(1) For the H.S.W.T. I would say it has yo do with Water pipes, maybe something like High Supply/Standing Water Tank, check that : Titanic Funnel Water Pipes Atricle from titanic-cad-plans.com
(2) For the 80 G BLR, I would guess : 80 Gallons Boiler ? Not sure about that...

Thank you all for the answers . Of course I read a bit about it. Maybe this is a good lead. I reviewed a bit and the article seems interesting. Unfortunately, I can't agree with the fact that the 80 G BLR abbreviation will be a pot of 80 gallons. I also had such suspicion but I think that's not it. There is also a kitchen on board D and such pots have different markings. And in addition, 80 gallons is about 300 liters so a lot. I don't know if such pots exist at all ;)

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
80 G BLR abbreviation will be a pot of 80 gallons. I also had such suspicion but I think that's not it. There is also a kitchen on board D and such pots have different markings. And in addition, 80 gallons is about 300 liters so a lot. I don't know if such pots exist at all ;)
Remember, the ship is feeding 2 to 3000 people 3 meals a day. I don't know about Titanic, but on U.S. Navy ships the crew gets 4 meals a day.

Such 80 gallon boiler pots certainly do exist, because there are 4 of them, starboard side of F Deck, just aft of WTB J for feeding 3rd class passengers, and they are clearly labelled "4-Steam cooking boilers 80 Gal"

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
In fact, on the F deck in the 3rd class galley there are such pots. I have not reached the F deck yet, which is why I did not notice it before. Maybe they are really 80 gallon three pots. The abbreviation BLR is only confusing to me. B can mean boiler, what about the rest?

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
HSWT...possibly the 1912 version of a hot steam buffer tank system for domestic water supplies or a heating system
is
If I recall, a James Cameron documentary mentioned the Captain's bathtub had both hot and cold fresh and seawater. That tank probably feed the Captain's tub, among other things. There are also 4 tanks above the boiler rooms inboard of the swimming pool (I'm currently modeling this area) Possibly used for the showers and Turkish bath - unless the pool itself was heated.

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
It's a common English abbreviation technique- remove the vowels and keep the consonants. BoiLeR becomes BLR

Ok. Now everything is clear. Currently, I am beginning to translate the F deck. Already at first glance between boiler rooms No. 5 and 6 I see the abbreviation H.F.W. tanks. Am I guessing that it will be Hot Fresh Water Tanks? Were these tanks used to supply water to cabins and the Turkish bath?

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
The Turkish bath has a "Hot F.W. tank" and boiler closer to it in the 3&4 boiler casing (same place, but one funnel aft). That pretty well confirms HFWT is a Hot Fresh Water Tank. Also, the Turkish bath probably drew from the closer tank. So the forward tanks probably supplied other things. The swimming bath is close, it has 2 showers - these might have had hot water. The laundry I believe is also there, at least the soiled linen and drying rooms are. I'm not sure where they actually cleaned the laundry at - perhaps the section marked "boiled linen" - that's not clear to me. I'd guess that most or all of the water on those tanks was used for laundry - 3500 beds, plus tablecloths, napkins, probably uniforms and possibly even passenger clothes.

I don't know about the sinks in the cabins, whether those have plumbing or not. I don't see these tanks close to most of the cabins, especially in the stern. I don't know if 3rd class had hot and cold running water. From the photos I've seen (reproductions and digital art) it looks like they had running cold water only.

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Ok. Thank you for your answer. I almost forgot. I have one more, now the last unknown. On the D, E, G decks there are Firemen's wash place in the bow section. There is the abbreviation WT. I learned from the key that it is a watertight. Just what watertight? Anyone know anything about this?

Dec 27, 2017
Isle of Man
I'm not sure where they actually cleaned the laundry at - perhaps the section marked "boiled linen" - that's not clear to me. I'd guess that most or all of the water on those tanks was used for laundry - 3500 beds, plus tablecloths, napkins, probably uniforms and possibly even passenger clothes.

Tim, they didn't do any laundry onboard the ship. All used linen was stored in 'soiled linen' and then passed ashore for cleaning at the destination. Ship laundry (shore-side) was a big business then.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Thanks, Roger Southern. That's an awful lot of hot water then.

WT almost certainly means "Water Tank". I assume the firemen probably rinsed down pretty well after each shift before eating and sleeping. They'd be covered in soot, coal dust, and sweat. The tanks would have feed the showers and sinks.

It's also possible it means "wash tub", but they only look to be about 3 foot diameter. There are also no apparent walls for privacy (that might be optional)

Could be something else, but nothing comes to mind.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Looking on another thread, it seems the drying room etc were used to hang dirty linen to air it and prevent molding.

Reactions: 1 user

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Once again I have to ask you for help. The Turkish bath next to the chairs has a leather "T". Unfortunately it's not in the key. Do you know what it is?

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
For that, my friend, I recommend you do a Google image search for Titanic Turkish Bath and see if you can see what's located there.