Legend/KEY to deck plans

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Hello. I will need your help again. He is currently reviewing Tank Top plans. There are a lot of symbols "P" - Plate over manhole. What were these hatches for? Is this related to the bilge tank? The "DP" symbols are arranged on the same deck - Drain pot. What was it for? Is this also about bilge water?

Dec 27, 2017
Isle of Man
The manholes were access points into the double bottom tanks for maintenance, painting, inspection, etc. The drain pots were depressions in the tank top which, as the name implies, served as drain water collection points for the bilge system.

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks. I just expected such an answer. You know something about "Line at center of boilers", "Line where tank side crosses landing", "Sight edge 5 '- 0" parallel to ship's side "," Line at tank side "," Line at panting deck "? What is" panting deck "

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Those "Lines at" represent the shape of the hull at a given height up from the keel. There appears to have been a panting deck, and that's the width of the hull at the height of the panting deck.

The panting deck was probably designed to reinforce the hull and prevent panting (Panting (ship construction) - Wikipedia).

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks. Everything is already clear. I have one more question. Next to the electric engine if necessary there are 5 "holes. Do you know what it was used for?

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Do you know where the hull line marked "Line at tank side" runs? The "Center of shaft" line runs at the height of the propeller shaft. But "Line at tank side" seems to run lower. Where? With a double bottom?

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Unfortunately, no one knows the answer to my questions. Perhaps someone will know the answer to this question. What were the holes all over the Tank Top marked: 15 ", 18", 21 "? Were there any hatches too?

Jul 27, 2020
Unfortunately, no one knows the answer to my questions. Perhaps someone will know the answer to this question. What were the holes all over the Tank Top marked: 15 ", 18", 21 "? Were there any hatches too?

Hello Damian.
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the section in question? The Titanic is by no means a small ship and trying to find what you are referring to is like finding a needle in a haystack.

In regard to the numbers you mentioned, granted I'm going off of what you've quoted, it seems like you aren't in fact referring to "holes" per say as you are referring to a pillar which supported the transverse beams, through a set of longitudinal girders. Beneath the Lower Deck (G) there were 21 in diameter built up columns forward and 18 in aft at the ends of the ship, reduced to 16 in at extreme ends.

Damian2104

Apr 9, 2020
Hello Damian.
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the section in question? The Titanic is by no means a small ship and trying to find what you are referring to is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Hello. All my questions relate to Tank Top. I think there will be no problem finding. I care about that the most where the hull line marked "Line at tank side" runs? The "Center of shaft" line runs at the height of the propeller shaft. But "Line at tank side" seems to run lower. Where? With a double bottom?