Lesser Known Titanic Related Spots

Mar 15, 2001
I know anyone who lives and breathes Titanic knows these spots but for many, these places are undiscovered treasures. One would be the birthplace of Molly Brown in Hannibal, Missouri. I was there a few years ago and its really a neat little town steeped in history. Its as if time has stood still in this small Mississippi river town. (I always wondered if Molly Brown ever met Mark Twain). Another lesser known place is the Archibald Butt Memorial Bridge in Augusta, Georgia. Unless one likes golf, Augusta is out of the way and most people never have a reason to go there. The bridge is very ornate with Lions on the entrance of the bridge. While most here at ET know of these places, many who do not study the Titanic would have no clue of either of these places. Can anyone name some other lesser known Titanic related spots?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Stockyard Creek, South Australia, is not quite the end of the universe, but it's working on it. It's the birthplace of stewardess Evelyn Marsden.

It used to be a railway siding of local importance but now it's down to one house and a whole lot of crows. There's a big tree at the site of her home and the remains of a ramp where sheep were loaded onto trains.

Lesser known is an understatement!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
London's East End, West India Docks, where the building that once housed the King Edward VII Nautical School still stands. Put now to other purposes, it has some rather lovely nautical decoration. It was here that James Moody studied briefly for his Master's Certificate (the house he stayed in at the time was bombed to oblivion along with much of its surrounds during WWII).

lonney butler

Feb 19, 2006
I know that many people know of the graves in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Canada but they really don't get a lot of attention compared to other places such as Southhampton or the Harland & Wolff shipyards. This is really a shame as it is quite a beautiful and moving place. It is also a very affordable place to visit for Americans as the exchange rate is favourable and the distance is also easier to manage on a budget.

May 1, 2004
>Nova Scotia and Ontario are two different provinces.<

Which is a pity because I see so many lovely pictures of the cemetery, but have not yet been there.
Lonney, I hope you get to see Mount Pleasant Cemetery here in Toronto, Ontario. It is a lovely and fascinating cemetery, holds at least two graves of Titanic survivors and the most interesting tombstones I have ever seen.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Nova Scotia and Ontario are two different provinces
But in a lot of ways Canada can be considered "a great family to know": "generally happy when all is said and done".

Lonney, I agree with Marilyn. Mount Pleasant Cemetery is an exceptional place to visit, to see the graves of the Titanic survivors, plus tributes to three other tragedies that affected Toronto. Jason Tiller and I visited the Cemetery during my visit to Toronto in July 2003.

lonney butler

Feb 19, 2006
Oops! I live in Ontario and I get so used to typing Ontario, Canada that it just slipped by me.Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen.

Dec 21, 2005
England
Maryport in Cumbria is well worth a visit. It's the birthplace of Thomas Henry Ismay. There is a small but informative maritime museum, and the house where THI spent his childhood is still stands much the same as it did in Thomas's day. Remains of many of the old wharfs which inspired Thomas can also be seen.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
What about Leafield, near Witney in Oxfordshire - the home, for many years, of Captain Smith's daughter Helen. I have been trying to identify the location of her cottage, which was known as "Pratt's", and was probably one of the small, stone-built dwellings around the village green.