Lest We Forget (The Lusitania)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>During the weeks following the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, the truly enigmantic Dr Joseph Condon of the Bronx took it upon himself to place a classified ad in the Bronx Home News offering himself as a 'go-between' if the kidnap gang wanted to communicate with Charles and Anne Lindbergh.<<

That is a bit strange. Grandstanding perhaps or was something darker going on here? This sort of "Look-What-A-Good-Citizen-I-Am" thing would make for a wonderful way of deflecting suspicion from oneself over something like this.

>>Which I looked at, without actually seeing, every day of my college career as I walked to the subway<<

Amazing how that happens, isn't it?
wink.gif
That mausoleum looks like it's very well kept up. Is this becuause of family tending to it?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Woodlawn is park like and well tended. Some of the crypts are marked as "Endowed", but those which are not seem equally well maintained.

>Grandstanding perhaps or was something darker going on here?

Generations of crime researchers have wondered about that. Lindbergh believed Condon was legit, and became very indignant the one time the police gave "The Good Doctor" the third degree. Hauptmann's house, East 222nd at Needham Ave, was still there last time I checked. BTW- the only Lindbergh book worth reading is Jim Fischer's excellent work. My great grandmother knew Anna Hauptmann from the German Bakery/lunchroom in which she, Anna, worked and based her assumption of Hauptmann's innocence on the fact that he had a nice wife.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Generations of crime researchers have wondered about that.<<

Small wonder. An offer like that would get any detective's antennea twitching, and for good reason! I would have questioned him closely as well.

Apr 11, 2001
Amazing history bits, Jim. I really think I see a market for specially-guided tours "Manhattan Confidential"(from a limo window of course), or a tell-all book, The Seamy Side of Gotham. I want the first copy!There should not be any problem coming up with a lurid cover or scandalous material.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>An offer like that would get any detective's antennea twitching, and for good reason! I would have questioned him closely as well

Colonel Lindbergh, despite being one of the victims in this case, proved to be a hinderance in certain regards. The police deferred to his wishes to an unusual extent. He believed that his household staff was innocent, and so they were only superficially questioned- and after the suicide of equally cryptic Morrow residence housemaid Violet Sharpe (against whom the police did manufacture evidence) it seems that avenue of investigation tapered off. Dr. Condon, who did not know the Lindbergh's pre kidnapping, always claimed to have made his offer out of sympathy to Anne Lindbergh but, from day one, was eyed with suspicion by both the police and the general public.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Colonel Lindbergh, despite being one of the victims in this case, proved to be a hinderance in certain regards.<<

That's not surprising. It's amazing how often that the very worst enemy the police have in any investigation is/are the victims themselves. Either they just want to forget about it, or they want to do things on thier own hook. It doesn't help that they're often blinded by their own trust in people who are often the first to sell them out.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
BARBARA ANDERSON 1915 Residence. What can one say about Bridgeport Connecticut which has not already been said? I pondered that this afternoon as work related issues sent me into the heart of the loveliest of all New England Garden Spots (the company which I was seeking actually used a mound of garbage as a direction indicator in their phone instructions "You'll see a chain link fence that a lot of people have thrown their garbage behind. At that point you'll want to start looking for _____Street." Yes, really....) As I rolled up my car windows and locked the doors, and drank up the symphony of lovely sights sounds and smells that makes Bridgeport such a special locale, I recalled that in 1915 Barbara and Emily Anderson set out for their rendezvous with the Lusitania from an address in "Park City" and so decided to seek it out.
97675.jpg

97676.jpg

Unlike the Bridgeport neighborhood of Lusitania survivor James Brooks, the arsonists have not struck Barbara's old neighborhood in force, and much of Morningside Drive looks as it did in 1915. Roland, Emily and Barbara Anderson lived at 35/37 Morningside. #35 is the first floor apartment facing the camera, and in common with most "double deckers" as they are known here, it contained a large living room/dining room combination (both with bay windows) two bedrooms, an 'all purpose room,' a bathroom and a kitchen. One wonders what, if anything, remains of the Andersons in the house. 'though both mother and daughter survived the sinking, neither returned to this house. Emily died in England and Barbara, upon her return to the US in late 1919 found her father living at a different address. It might be interesting, weather and schedules permitting, to bring Barbara back here for a visit. Shelley? Mike? Mike?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
FAULDS: Went into Yonkers New York today to photograph as many of the remaining Lusitania sites as I could. I started at Mount Hope Cemetery, where Andrew and Margaret Faulds are buried. Mr. and Mrs. Faulds both survived the disaster, but so far details of their experiences are sketchy. Andrew was injured in the sinking, and was receiving "medical attention" as of May 10, 1915. He was buried on April 1, 1942, while Margaret survived him by more than 20 years. She died in Florida in 1968 and was returned to Mount Hope for burial.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
After that, the Lusitania part of the day was all but over. The Grandidge's residence (8 Highland Avenue "The Newcastle" inscribed over its elaborate entryway) proved impossible to photograph (Highland Avenue is one way and the residence is on the wrong side of the street to photograph from the driver's side window- no parking spaces ever opened up and I could not catch a break in traffic to step out of the car d*mn it) and the cloudy overcast skies meant that good photos of the Faulds, Grab, Harrison and I.B.S. Holbourn residences could not be taken.
So, I decided to go to Oakland Cemetery and pay my respects to Alexander and Charity Robins from the Titanic.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
ROBINS gravesite: Well, it turns out that Mr. and Mrs. Robins' last name is spelled "Robbins" in the cemetery filing system, and I was directed to the grave of an Alexander Robins who died at 16 days back in 1889. Is this infant any relation? I have no idea. A quick check back at the office ("Try spelling it with two "bs" this time") sent me to the right Robins plot. If you plan on visiting, they are on Central Avenue. Just past the flagpole the road forks and they are in the triangle of land inside the fork, three rows into the triangle and two graves from Central Avenue.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Taking Walnut Street south from the cemetery, and two blocks beyond Yonkers Avenue (the main artery into downtown Yonkers) one comes to Garfield Street, and #24, the home to which the Robins' remains were taken in 1912. The residence, where her daughter, Anna Curtin lived, is the yellowish structure in midblock.
97761.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Most of the original architectural detailing has been removed, or covered over with vinyl siding, but a few bits of carved wood remain on the porch, and the original elaborate Eastlake front door is still present.
97765.jpg

Also buried in the Robins plot are their grandson William A. Curtin (1905-1967) and their son-in-law Patrick A. Curtin (1883-1951). Anna B. Curtin 1885-19 is inscribed on their daughter's stone. It is likely that she, too, is buried in the plot but her date of death was never inscribed on her memorial.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hello Jim
Excellent photos as always. I am sorry I missed out on this latest jaunt. Hopefully we can plan another 'Roadie' or mini 'Roadie' adventure soon.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hello, Mike: Belated thanks! Went on a mini trip today, which could not hope to rival our Bridgeport jaunts but which nevertheless was fun.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Set out beneath cloudy overcast skies, and in sweltering humidity, to document more Lusitania related sites.....

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
....and again met with mixed success. The same evil forces which prevented me from photographing the Grandidge residence two weeks ago interceded once again, and after tiring of endlessly circling Highland Avenue, I gave up. Definitely a two person job. One to take the picture and one to drive the getaway car. However, today the man who was screaming at nothing and punching at the air was not present so I was closer to getting the shot....