Let's take a submersible down to the RMS

• Thread starter Caroline(call me)Rose
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caroline(call me)Rose

Well, to be truthfull one of the things that i want to be when older is a Historian on the hole matter of the great Ship Titanic. I want to go down to the atlantic and see and watch that beautiful ship laying it her Peicefull death bed. I was wondering if anyone new the cost to go down to the titanic say in a submerine? or any kinda of device to get down there deep in the 2 1/2mile ride. Also do people ever go down there and actualy like visit it, take picrures, loook? Like do any Turists ever go down to see the Great Ship in Face to Face? Thanks
-Caroline
happy.gif

Jul 12, 2003
As far as I know (in regards to the submarine issue), you can't just take any sub...the pressure is just to great...plus it would be a long ride down (in the dark)...and, if I am not mistaken, personal medical conditions might have to be considered...Bob Ballard is one gentleman who made the dive...he has a book out with pics.

C

Caroline(call me)Rose

Call me dreamy but im only a youngin with Hope, hope to see the Rms Titanic in her grave. SORRY if im getting off the subject , which i know i indeed am. But thats just me Caroline
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Ladies, you don't have to dream. From time to time tourist dives are made in one of the Mir submersibles.

You need reasonably small size, a cool head and a very large bank account. The cost is something like $30,000 US. You can take photos and videos if you like. The dive takes about 11 hours, about half of which is spent getting up and down. On this site you'll find photos from at least two people who have made the trip, as well as their stories. Seach for Andrew Rogers, my Aussie mate, who won the trip in a raffle.

So start saving those dollars, pounds, shekels or whatever and keep off the Twinkies.

C

Caroline Chavez

Wow thank you Dave. Also thanks for all the information about the costs. Would you yourself ever go down there, spend that money, risk your life, Etc. To shee Titanic? Thanks
-Caroline

C

Caroline Chavez

Wow thank you Dave. Also thanks for all the information about the costs. Would you yourself ever go down there, spend that money, risk your life, Etc. To see Titanic? Thanks
-Caroline

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I'd be game. The technology is pretty well proven and is safer then many things we use every day. I'd just like to be rich enough to pay and slim enough to get into Mir. It's quite a squeeze with three people in it.

C

Caroline Chavez

Very true, the amount is well known exspencive. Though to me its what ive always wanted and wouldnt mind really paying for it. I dont know how i would feel though, to be face to face with history, to see the ship most people talk about. I was wondering, this i dont know, but o you think there would be away to maybe have an Oxygen tank, wet suite, any supplies possible to actualy swim around at the bottom of the titanic, lol) sounds a bit rediculous i know. But is it possible is there any way to do it? Thank you
-Caroline
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Caroline, even with the latest technology, free diving in nearly 4,000 metres is quite impossible. It will always be a case of cramming into a little metal sphere and hoping nature doesn't call.

C

Caroline Chavez

Well we have evolved SO DARN (edited by moderator Erik Wood) much(excuse the lang) But its amazing how much we evolved. Theres a saying that goes like this. "Times Change" BUT thats so incorrect. its the people who change, scientists get brillentier eachday! So we never know what will happen jus around the conner. I hope there will be a divice where we can go down to any ocean. Well Please keep posting. Thank You.
-Caroline

Jul 12, 2003
It's true how far along we are in technology, science, etc. And it's true that you never know what will be around the corner. However, sometimes you have to have priorities. I would rather have research money, for example, used to continue a search for medical cures of cancer, etc.

I don't know if it is feasible to spend all the money to find a way to successfully build a safe diving vessel for tourists because how many people in the world could actually afford to take the trip?

We are lucky enough as it is the have the footage and stills that Ballard took and even the images we saw in "Ghosts".

I, for one, am grateful for that.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Caroline,

I edited your post, only the "D" word from what it was to darn. Not that your word was offensive but if I allow one I have to allow them all. I hope you understand.

C

Caroline Chavez

hah Thank you Erik, it aint no biggie! Thank you for your posts to everyone! Keep them comming, im very amused by everyones thoughts
happy.gif

-Caroline
happy.gif

E

Erika Conely

Let me just say this...I have been saving for 3 years already...and will continue to do so until I make the trip. This is one thing I WILL do before I leave this earth. My favorite part of James Cameron's movie is the beginning...when "you are in the Alvin" , you are seeing her, in all her beauty, but in the back ground you hear the screams, the cries, and the courage. I can't even begin to fathom that. But, someday, I will be able to tell you all about it. Until then...Love to all...Erika

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Erika, hope you get to live that dream. Of course you'd need a lot of money, and I see that you work in a bank. Now, don't be tempted to help yourself, as any cops who read these posts will know exactly where to find you!
wink.gif

C

Caroline Chavez

Erika. I congradualte you, for your high spirts and determind modivation. I'm glad to see another me!(haha) I want to go down there myslef, I am still i minor thought and have plenty of time to save... But i hope by the time im old enough.. the Ship will look somewhat what it looks now.. Not worse. I myself cannot believe its already been over 90yrs now that the Beautifulist ship has been in her death bed, Its amazing..
-Caroline

Status
Not open for further replies.