Leviathan book info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I am working on a project on the Vaterland/Leviathan and need some more info:
1. How many compartments was the double bottom divided into? How many of her main compartments could be flooded before the ship would sink?
2. Are there any detailed accounts of her trial run available? Even Frank Braynards's series on the Leviathan provides very little on this.
3. Does anyone have access to the transatlantic passenger conference reports? I would like to eventually reconstruct the entire career of the Vaterland/Leviathan as far as her passenger carryings with overall averages and perhaps even speeds.
4. What was the NET tonnage of the Vaterland? (When she entered service)
5. I am also seeking photos and other visual items that could be published.
People who are interested in helping out can contact me via the following address:
[email protected]

Brent

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
A couple more questions:
6. How much coal could the Vaterland store in her bunkers?
7. What was the daily fuel consumption at cruising speed?

Brent

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
Does anyone know the number of compartments the double bottom of the Vaterland/Leviathan was divided into?

Thanks

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate subtopic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same question. MAB]

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I am working on a book on the Leviathan that will hopefully be published in about a year. I have had the basic text completed for some time now, but could still use a little more.

I am looking for the following:

1. Info (from the Transatlantic passenger conference or other sources) on the average speeds of the Leviathan in 1923, 1924, 1929, 1930, 1931, & 1933.
2. Photos of the interior & exterior. (Color photos of any Leviathan models would also be useful)

If anyone could provide direct assistance or give me some hints on where to acquire some of the items mentioned above, it would be very much appreciated. I will acknowledge anyone who can help in the book.

Thanks,

Brent

B

Baxter Craven

I have recently bought a pre-sailing brochure for the Leviathan, some deck plans and a record made by the ships band. I'll be glad to look over them all later and let you know if I can answer any of these questions.

T

Timothy Trower

I dunno -- I think that Frank Braynard covered this well in his six-volume set of books about the Leviathan completed in the mid 1980s.

I've got a set of the six that I'll turn loose for $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.