Life for Harland & Wolff shipyard workers

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Almost all construction sites are hard on the hearing. Equiptment generates a lot of loud noise. Welders have it bad in many ways. Their use of grinders and some plasma cutters are very damaging to the hearing without protection. My high frequency hearing is shot. 4 years of jets and 29 years in a power plant and shooting lots of guns over the years pretty much wrecked it. Althought since leaving the plant it has recovered some. When I was flying a lot of the hardest part for me wasn't the actual flying, learning the procedures and rules and such. It was the radio. Half the time I couldn't understand what people were saying. Flying into class C air space was not fun for me...o_O.
My high frequency hearing is damage too. But its only down to the fact not wearing ear defenders when should of done so. Yes they are a pain when to remembering to put them on. Or forgot to them with me and too knee to get the job done.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah I understand what your saying. My problem was " well I'll only be in there a few minutesso it will be ok". It adds up over time.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Based on a limited amount of imformation, I'd say there was a tendency for seafarers to stick with a line, rather than a ship. Note that most of Titanic's crew came from White Star ships, mostly Olympic and Oceanic. I have a record of a Carpathia man who almost always sailed with Cunard. I suspect captains were closely tied to lines. Where's Captain Currie?
When did a lot of the merchant marines become unionized? I've seen old movies where the guys were sitting around the union hall waiting to get a ship. Or was that just Hollywood?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Just to clarify, the compo claims I mentioned earlier were made in 1977 by workers who had been employed years earlier.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
If you want a guidance to all the wages paid on the Titanic. There is an excellent book by Gunter Babler. GUIDE TO THE CREW OF TITANIC.
Captain Smith was in a class of his own for pay. £104 pm plus bonus if he didn't crash the ship. Also had his private steward. As for Chief officer Henry Wildle second in command was the 5th best paid at £25 pm!