Life For The Second Class

Lily Peters

Jun 18, 2005
So I was correct in thinking D55 and D62 were two-berth cabins; thank you, Lester!
happy.gif
Did the second class have a bulge that announced dinner, as the first class did?

~Lily~

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
"Did the second class have a bulge that announced dinner, as the first class did?"

No; the menu didn't compare and the passage wasn't long enough.

Noel

May 1, 2004
A tummy bulge below the waist of the ship?

Sorry Lily. Couldn't resist. I know you meant 'bugle'.

Since you're on 'food', have you read "Last Dinner on the Titanic"?

Those who have, care to comment on it's accuracy? Or does that belong on a different thread?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Those who have, care to comment on it's accuracy? Or does that belong on a different thread?<<

It *would* be appropriate in the Books folder but since the subject matter works just as well for Life On Board, it's fine right here where it is.

Lily Peters

Jun 18, 2005
No, I haven't read Last Dinner On The Titanic yet, Marilyn, though it does pique my interest very much. I'll have to check it out from my local library.

~Lily~

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's not really possible to consider Last Dinner in terms of precise accuracy. The bulk of the content is concerned, of course, with the actual dishes served to all 3 classes of passengers. All the writers had to start from were the names of the dishes included in the surviving menus. Beyond that they have suggested the composition and preparation of each dish, drawing on their own extensive knowledge of the catering practices of the time. So it may not be 100% accurate for Titanic, but it's as good as it could possibly be. And very well designed and illustrated - it's a pleasure just to browse through the pages. Not recommended if you're trying to stay on a diet!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Not recommended if you're trying to stay on a diet! <<

Unless you're on a See Food Diet. (I see it, I eat it!) Some of thr dishes served up are very rich, so it's little wonder that they took their time to work their way through the multiple courses of a typical formal Edwardian dinner. I've had a copy of this book and I've been tempted to try a few of the recipes myself. (Yeeeeesssss..ladies, I do cook!}} What I've never been tempted to try was an all out seven to ten course meal.

Lily Peters

Jun 18, 2005
Was the enclosed promenade for the second class outside the library on C Deck? Lawrence Beesley writes...

"Through the windows there is the
covered corridor, reserved by general consent as the children's playground..."

Are the covered corridor and the enclosed second class promenade the same?

~Lily~

Dec 6, 2000
"Was the enclosed promenade for the second class outside the library on C Deck? Lawrence Beesley writes..." - Yes. Look at photographs of the Titanic, you can see the windows.

"Are the covered corridor and the enclosed second class promenade the same?" - No. I believe you will find that the "enclosed corridor" was one of the two Entrances. - see the attached.
<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
2nd Class Library
2nd Class Library.bmp (11.6 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​
Hopefully someone will be able to advise which one.

Dec 6, 2000
Lily, thinking about it it would have been the after entrance as the forward one contained the elevator. - At least that is my thinking.

Dec 7, 2000
Lester,

Oh yeh, I just realised that the person who has the web site blocked direct linkning of images ... I guess to protect them. Go to the deck plan section and it has a link to the 1911 2nd class deck plan.

Daniel.

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for that. Because we had started out re the children's play area I did not fully read your message. I was looking in the photographs. It had been a long and tiring day. Lily will appreciate the deck plan as it gives her the furniture plans for her rooms.

Lily Peters

Jun 18, 2005
I'm looking at the Olympic's photographs at Ship Magnificent and can't seem to find any photos of second class stateroom interiors. The deck plans I've been using are here (http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/start.htm; look under Deck plans), but second class interiors may help. Thanks, Daniel and Lester.
happy.gif

Just to be sure of something, I'm going to veer topics for a moment. Was the White Star Line's British headquarters in Liverpool, as I've already assumed? Thank you again.

~Lily~

Dec 6, 2000
Lily,

There are photographs. What books do you have access to?

The Table of Contents in the web-site you say you are using is blank. Just a series of .... - so I cannot see what deck plans you have been using, but given the questions you have been asking they cannot be very detailed.

Have you looked at the very detailed D-deck plans that Daniel provided?

Dec 7, 2000
Lily,

On that Ship Magnificent web site I posted, if you go into the photo section, there are some 2nd class related photos. The 2nd class boat deck promenade (3rd pic down on right), 2nd class purser's office -- further down on the left. If you go into the "Inside the Olympic" section, the top two photos on the right are from 2nd class -- the 2nd class smoke room, and fore staircase.

I'm sure there are many others around on the internet.

Daniel.