Life jackets - Design Dimensions etc

Allan Clarke

Sep 17, 2006
Hi Stefan,
I will get this information for you. I work for the Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador. We have the lifejacket that was worn by Steward James McCrady. His body was recovered by the SS Algerine over a month after the disaster and returned to St. John's before being shipped to Halifax for burial. He was the last victim from the Titanic to be interred.
Cheers,
Allan

May 6, 2003
thanks Allan
my grandma made me one when i was younger but now i've outgrown it and i want a real sized one for my collection

Allan Clarke

Sep 17, 2006
Hi Stefan,
We have the life jacket taken from the body of First Class Steward, James McCrady, in our collections here at the Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador. With the jacket opened out flat, it measures 46inches(L)x12inches(W)x2.5inches(T). Each side is made up of six pieces of cork, sewn so that two are adjacent to each other in independent "pockets;" the lower two on each side are slightly longer than the other pieces. The small pieces are 3.75inches(L)x5.5inches(W) and the larger ones are 7.5inches(L)x5.5inches(W). There are four ties that each measure 31inches in length.
Regards,
Allan

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Stefan, this is the third time you have started a new thread with this same subject and same question. What's wrong with the answer you got last time?

[Modeerator's note: This message originally contained a link to a thread containing messages that are now part of this one; the three separate threads referred to by Bob have been combined. MAB]

May 6, 2003
Well sorry BOB i got an answer but thought it seemed to small, because james cameron's life jackets look different, than the dimensions i got.

Sep 1, 2004
Does anybody know exact sizes of life jackets a what kind of material was they made of, or some other informations, drawings and plans.
Do you know a shop, where can I Titanic - life jacket buy? Thank you very much.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
To my knowledge, you can't just go to any old shop and buy a lifejacket from the Titanic. Any that are genuine are extremely few in number and are in the hands of either collectors or musuems. If you want to see what one of these things looked like, go ahead and click on This Hotlink.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The reproduction life belts made for Cameron's film were sold off and they come up again on Ebay from time to time - not very cheap. But it's not difficult to make one - they were simple devices made from canvas and cork. The dimensions have been posted here at least once by a member who took them direct from a real one in a museum. Might take a while to find - Try the search engine (at bottom of this page) with variations like lifebelt, life belt, lifejacket and life jacket.

Sep 1, 2004
Thank you very much. I have already tried to find pictures of life jackets to make it and also lot of pictures from Cameron`s movie. But Thank you. I am only 15 years old and I would like to make it by a coutiére.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Click here:

[Moderator's note: This message originally contained a link to a thread with which the thread in which this message originally appeared has been combined. There's no need to click; just scroll up. MAB]

Sep 1, 2004
Thank you very very much!!! You are super! And I have a one more questions. I have read about Titanic gymnasium, there was written something like "titanic`s gymnasium had more kind of machines as indian club". Do you know, what´s or what was an "indian club"?
Thank you very much

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Land, I should think. Like 'India' ink, to think it the people would be a racist connotation. Anyway, India Ink originated from China.