Life Saving Devices

Apr 11, 2001
I want one of these for my next cruise! A Frisbuoy! Yes, I will shop for anything but there's all sorts of new safety stuff out here now compared to the pitiful amount of research which went into devices back in 1912. Check THIS out- if only.....
http://www.frisbouy.com/

Jul 10, 2005
Wow! I wish I had some x-tra cash floating around, even though it is a replica and from the movie, I would love to have it!

Beverly

Jan 29, 2001
As an afterthought, and impending brainstorm on my part. As we all know the fourth funnel acted as a dummy stack, bespoking a majestic strength superior to a three stacked steamer. I realize a certain amount of exhaust was dispersed from the lower decks (i.e. galley) by a minimal of vertical piping affixed to the inards of the *dummy*. These
could be essentially *relocated*.

Drawing on pure (Phil)hindsight...how about, at the time of her fitting out, the floating crane of the basin *stocked* the fourth funnel with (one atop the other) appropriate measured (In order to fit the ovate shpoe of the funnel) cork preserver (similar to the actual on Titanic's sun-deck), however, having them canvas topped, with an adjustable brim (As the collapsibles had).

As for access...the extreme rear of the fourth funnel base would be removeable, thereby enabling the *rafts* to slide out, and working in conjunction with the *jacobs ladder*, lowered to the sea.

Considering the greater percentage of fore/head-on damage,
the farthest aft funnel would allow ample time. With acception to such case as Lusitania's brief death cry.

A helluv alot better than hypothermia...

Michael Cundiff

Dec 4, 2000
I have checked the regulations front to back, but nowhere can I find a "life funnel." There are lifeboats, liferafts and life rings...no life funnels.

--David G. Brown

Jan 29, 2001
I ask that your pardon me..for on this, my initial post, obly to later realizd by self notification that I had set foot into a far differentiating
topic than which the secondary heading substantiates...."Life Saving Devices"

I failed to recognize the preceding heading which reads: MARKET PLACE

I'll take my idea to bed with me and play on it...

Michael Cundiff
(Who utterly despises a TITANIC marketplace. A second *love* of mine destroyed by a monetary value placement)

Jan 29, 2001
David:

Then please also bear in mind...nowhere does a
regulation for deck storage confront the matter of which the *easy chairs* of QUEEN MARY be confined to an avaialble space of the number three stack.

A matter of fact!

Michael Cundiff

Apr 11, 2001
Forgot to add- click on -What is Solas?- on the above link- it details the Titanic situation and also links to the International Ice Patrol.

Apr 11, 2001
Anyone catch the History channel this afternoon-? program on survival in all sorts of conditions. A rather large segment was devoted to Titanic and hypothermia. They estimate a person would have gone from stupor to coma in 30 minutes or less but might have survived as long as an hour. The new hypothermia suit was shown- bright orange with built- in head rest. Also featured was a chute which pops out the side of the ship ,towing life rafts (looks a lot like a plane evac-chute but enclosed). Passengers need never get their heads wet. This will probably be rebroadcast Sunday. Also shown was a portable decompression chamber- looked like a long worm, wrapped in cargo netting- easily moveable with 2 people and completely effective.