Lifeboat Launch Order

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

Off topic comment be me:...I hear you. I'm so ready for Winter to be over. The cold sucks. One of the reasons why I sympathize with the people on Titanic. But back to the subject matter. After looking at the times I can see why they are listed as they are. There's no way one could be exact about it and a minute here or there doesn't change the story at all IMO. It's not like today with people taking selfies where you can extract the metadata and get the time down to the second.
Hello Steven.

I completely agree with your remarks regarding the inexactitude of assessing times. However, I am not concerned with that but of glaring anomalies in The Table 2 under discussion. Look closely and make your own mind up. here is what I see:
Table anomoly 2021 02 28 001

As you can see from the above, I have inserted the evidence of QM Rowe concerning his times of firing the signals.
Rowe also said he first contacted the bridge to tell them about boat 7 at 12-25 am by his watch which was at least 23 minutes SLOW of unaltered time .This means the bridge time would have been 12-48 am. which agrees with The Table.
However, since Rowe said he commenced firing signals at about 12-45 am,.20 minutes later, The Table should record a time of 1-08 am instead of 12-47 am as is does.
It seems that the difference between The Table time and the partly altered time for the launching of the first signal has been reduced to almost zero. Otherwise why is The Table time of firing the first signal a mere 2 minutes adrift from the time given by QM Rowe whose watch was 23 minutes SLOW of ship time?
As a further puzzle, The Table times suggest that boat 5 was launched at 12-40 am and boat 7 five minutes after that, at 12-45 am which was 12-17am and 12-22am respectively on Rowe's watch and 3 minutes before 12-25am when he reported to the bridge that he had seen one boat in the water.
To compound the felony, The Table shows the first rocket being fired at 12-47 am which was 12-24 am on Rowe's watch -a minute before he called the bridge.
So the simplified picture painted in terms of a partially retarded clock is as follows:

12-17 am...boat 7 seen. - 12-40 am Table
12-22 am...boat 5 seen. - 12-45 am Table
12-24 am... first signal fired. - 12-47 am Table
12-25 am... Rowe advises bridge of seeing boat 7 - 12-48am Table

However, if we move on in the table, we find everything returns to normal re time differences.
As they use to ask in the TV show "Soap",,, "Confused? You will be after this next episode." :D :D :D

Samuel Halpern

Samuel Halpern

To compound the felony,
There is no felony. You obviously didn't read the article thoroughly. Rowe did not fire the first signal, Boxhall did, and that was before Rowe called the bridge. By the way, in a correspondence between George Rowe and J. Powell (MMSA District Secretary) in early June 1963, Rowe said that they were firing rockets whilst he was still on the afterbridge, and when he took the “other rockets” along to the forebridge, “they used some of those” as well. This was documented in a note from Powell to Leslie Harrison on 12 Jun 1963.

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

C' mon Sam, Evidence 50+ years after the event cancelling evidence given days after the same event is dodgy to say the least.
Boxhall did not make first contact with the aft bridge and all the evidence supports this. However, Boxhall said he sent for rockets but not at the time the launching of No7 was reported.
His "puting away the firing lanyard" story is exactly the same story he gave when asked when he first saw Ismay.
Not withstanding that; the story that there were several signal fired before Rowe went to the bridge is nonsense. I am surprised you even give it house room. It does not dove-tail with any other evidence he gave on both sides of the Atlantic and contradicts that of his mate and the evidence of Pitman and Lowe.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Hello Steven.

I completely agree with your remarks regarding the inexactitude of assessing times. However, I am not concerned with that but of glaring anomalies in The Table 2 under discussion. Look closely and make your own mind up. here is what I see:
View attachment 75844
As you can see from the above, I have inserted the evidence of QM Rowe concerning his times of firing the signals.
Rowe also said he first contacted the bridge to tell them about boat 7 at 12-25 am by his watch which was at least 23 minutes SLOW of unaltered time .This means the bridge time would have been 12-48 am. which agrees with The Table.
However, since Rowe said he commenced firing signals at about 12-45 am,.20 minutes later, The Table should record a time of 1-08 am instead of 12-47 am as is does.
It seems that the difference between The Table time and the partly altered time for the launching of the first signal has been reduced to almost zero. Otherwise why is The Table time of firing the first signal a mere 2 minutes adrift from the time given by QM Rowe whose watch was 23 minutes SLOW of ship time?
As a further puzzle, The Table times suggest that boat 5 was launched at 12-40 am and boat 7 five minutes after that, at 12-45 am which was 12-17am and 12-22am respectively on Rowe's watch and 3 minutes before 12-25am when he reported to the bridge that he had seen one boat in the water.
To compound the felony, The Table shows the first rocket being fired at 12-47 am which was 12-24 am on Rowe's watch -a minute before he called the bridge.
So the simplified picture painted in terms of a partially retarded clock is as follows:

12-17 am...boat 7 seen. - 12-40 am Table
12-22 am...boat 5 seen. - 12-45 am Table
12-24 am... first signal fired. - 12-47 am Table
12-25 am... Rowe advises bridge of seeing boat 7 - 12-48am Table

However, if we move on in the table, we find everything returns to normal re time differences.
As they use to ask in the TV show "Soap",,, "Confused? You will be after this next episode." :D :D :D
Yes it can get confusing when dealing with times reported on almost all things that happened that night. But a simple question (I think). Wasn't there a requirement for bridge and other officers to keep the personal pocket watches synchronized to the ships master clocks. I know they adjusted the master clocks often. And watches back then were still accurate enough to only lose a minute a day or so. You would think that would be a habit among the bridge crew but it seems like maybe not. Or was there even a requirement for them to even have personal watches? Ok more than one question I guess. Anyway what you and Samuel wrote is interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Samuel Halpern

Samuel Halpern

1912 evidence directly from Boxhall:
15593. Except the order for clearing the boats, which came very early in the proceedings? - Yes. I knew one of the boats had gone away, because I happened to be putting the firing lanyard inside the wheel-house after sending off a rocket, and the telephone bell rang. Somebody telephoned to say that one of the starboard boats had left the ship, and I was rather surprised.

Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

His "puting away the firing lanyard" story is exactly the same story he gave when asked when he first saw Ismay.
Not withstanding that; the story that there were several signal fired before Rowe went to the bridge is nonsense. I am surprised you even give it house room. It does not dove-tail with any other evidence he gave on both sides of the Atlantic and contradicts that of his mate and the evidence of Pitman and Lowe.
So that means he at least left the Poop deck sometime after 12:45, but before Murdoch lowered the other two starboard boats?