"Lifeboat No. 8" by Elizabeth Kaye

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi all,

Has anyone else read this book? I'm in the process of reading it now - I say process but it's a fairly short book and could be easily read in one extended sitting. While it does take a few liberties with the truth and is a bit Pellegrino-ish in its blending of historical fact with imagination, i'm actually finding it quite an enjoyable read, and a change to focus just on one group of passengers - those in Lifeboat No. 8 - rather than the entirety of those on board the ship.

I got it for a couple of bucks on Kindle - worth a look if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Adam.

Apr 22, 2012
Was considering getting this on my Kindle as well. I saw it being offered very cheaply on Amazon.com. You're the first person I have read a review from, however, so I was unsure if it was worth the time. I take it certain passages should be taken with a grain of salt?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Brandon,

Well, I would say that approximately 95% of the book is made up of witness testimonies, with the remainder being brief explanations of the scenario in which they took place. So yes, unfortunately there are quite a few contradictions between the survivor accounts (especially on matters such as what order the lifeboats were lowered in, whether or not the ship broke in two, etc) with not a whole lot of "digging for the truth" between them.

But that's the point - if you take this work as just an interesting read of what each individual eyewitness experienced, and don't read too much into the "facts" of it all, then you'll find it very interesting i'm sure - especially the larger excerpts from the likes of Archibald Gracie and Lawrence Beesley. There's even some testimony from a couple of the crew on Carpathia.

Cheers,
Adam.