Lifeboat Specifications

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
On modern ships, the boats can be launched on both sides with a list of up to 20 degrees.

That's what the rules require. Sadly, the ocean doesn't read the rules.

Why do I want to go to sea again? Must be nuts!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Sadly, the ocean doesn't read the rules.<<

Nor do the ships which get wrecked. That Andrea Doria assumed a list of over 20 degrees within a very few minutes. Unfortunately, this point seems to be lost on those who think that lifeboats for all is a cure-all.

Nov 2, 2008
>>Andrea Doria assumed a list of over 20 degrees within a very few minutes<<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria\

Fascinating story, especially about the passenger who was thrown onto the liner that crashed into it!

However, it was soon determined that half of the lifeboats, those on the port side, were unlaunchable due to the severe list, which left them high in the air. To make matters worse, the list also complicated normal lifeboat procedures on the starboard side. Instead of loading lifeboats at the side of the Promenade Deck and then lowering them into the water, it would be necessary to lower the boats empty, and somehow get evacuees down the exterior of the ship to water level to board. This was eventually accomplished through ropes, jacob's ladders, and a large fishing net. Some passengers panicked and threw children to rescuers below or jumped overboard themselves.

134607.jpg

Apr 14, 2018
Does anyone know what the lifeboats were made out of? I have always assumed wood but I was never sure. Also, I'm new to this site so I'm not sure I'm even posting this in the correct area. Thanks in advance!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The lifeboats were essentially built of wood, with a few metal components. Timbers used included oak, American elm, yellow pine, pitch pine and teak. The 30' boats had buoyancy tanks made of copper sheet. The two emergency boats had no tanks. The collapsible boats were of wood, with canvas sides that were supported by metal struts.