Lifeboats #4 and Collapsible D

I think just the forward part of No.2 would be at the open part of A-deck

By the time it was launched and taken the trim the ship had the bow of No. 2 would hang at the open part.
I am not sure if that model is accurate.

However from what I see it is also only Johnson who mentioned the stop at A Deck. Maybe the boat did not stop at all.

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

I think just the forward part of No.2 would be at the open part of A-deck

View attachment 48671

You mean just where the enclosing wall ends in that curved section? I'm not sure about that GS; loading people from that point would be hazardous win a ship with even keel, let alone with a port list. Even if passengers managed to get into the boat, they would have to move towards the stern to allow other to come aboard. Someone would almost certainly panic under those circumstances.

By the time it was launched and taken the trim the ship had the bow of No. 2 would hang at the open part.
I am not sure if that model is accurate.

However from what I see it is also only Johnson who mentioned the stop at A Deck. Maybe the boat did not stop at all.
You could be right about that but wouldn't a lot of have depended on how the crew launched the boat? As in more slack on one end or the other?

Gaston Sam

You mean just where the enclosing wall ends in that curved section? I'm not sure about that GS; loading people from that point would be hazardous win a ship with even keel, let alone with a port list. Even if passengers managed to get into the boat, they would have to move towards the stern to allow other to come aboard. Someone would almost certainly panic under those circumstances.
I meant there was some part of the regular windows that lead to the boat's position was it lowered to A-deck and could let people in the boat without much problem, I think.

Gaston Sam

Again, I think I read all the windows would open at once at the enclosed promenade. But probably, as suggested by Ioannis, the trim Titanic had would have make it very difficult to load anyone from the windows.

Arun Vajpey

Again, I think I read all the windows would open at once at the enclosed promenade. But probably, as suggested by Ioannis, the trim Titanic had would have make it very difficult to load anyone from the windows.
Also, with the crowd already getting unruly around Lifeboat #4 (going by Emily Ryerson's report of men getting ready to rush the boat etc), any attempt to open more windows to load Lifeboat #2 from A-deck could have caused pandemonium.

B

Bob_Read

I meant there was some part of the regular windows that lead to the boat's position was it lowered to A-deck and could let people in the boat without much problem, I think.
Each window of the A deck screens had to be hand cranked up or down individually.

At this late stage, is the crew stairway from A deck to the boat deck still accessible on A deck or would it be flooded?

By that time yes, that stairway was accessible. It was when collapsible D was lowered that water was starting to flood that area of A Deck.
1st Class passengers Hugh Woolner and Björström-Steffanson were at A Deck by that time, water was starting to flood that deck when they saw Collapsible D coming down and then got on the bulkhead and jumped out to Collapsible D. Björnström-Steffanson landed in the boat while Woolner nearly missed it and hung up with the legs in sea while holding at the boat.

Gaston Sam

Each window of the A deck screens had to be hand cranked up or down individually.
Thank you! I wonder how many of those did they open. I speculate that about three or four of them would be the most convenient to load No.4 given the curvature of the boat. It would certainly take more time to load the boat with the least number of windows opened.

port side.jpg

B

Bob_Read

Here is an exact scale drawing of where lifeboats #2 and #4 would be located when lowered for boarding through the A deck windows.
Titanic Lifeboats.jpg

Here is an exact scale drawing of where lifeboats #2 and #4 would be located when lowered for boarding through the A deck windows.View attachment 48704
Thank you! I wonder how many of those did they open. I speculate that about three or four of them would be the most convenient to load No.4 given the curvature of the boat.

Because of the curve of the lifeboat itself they could only load them thought 2 windows.