Lifeboats that were set adrift

13 boats and one collapsible were brought to New York (13 boats by Carpathia, Collapsible A by Oceanic). All boats had missing pieces and were damaged. They were in the 2nd floor loft between piers 58 & 59 where they remained until late December 1912. By that time Olympic was already at H&W in Belfast for her refit, receiving additional davits and more boats (larger than the 16 she already had). All other IMM vessels (as well as others) had enough boats.

The value of the Titanic boats was added to the total sum for compensation. It is very likely they were bought by the company which did examined them.

Scott Mills

The damage to the lifeboats was not significant other than damage done by souvenir collectors immediately following the boats being deposited at Pier 59. The collapsable boats might have very little re-use value, but even then I doubt it. Given what went on Olympic in May of 1912 (I'm talking about the shoddy and rotting lifeboat additions) and the overall shortage of lifeboats, I still think it is entirely possible that some of these boats found their way onto Olympic.

In any case, assuming you are correct and the lifeboats were "purchased" by the company that did the appraisal, this company would have turned around and sold them as lifeboats to other ship owners and shipping lines.

There is really no way in my mind, without documentation to the contrary, that you can convince me that these lifeboats were not re-used on other vessels be they White Star/IMM ships or a third party.

So how does some of the boats made it on Olympic when they were until December 1912 in New York and the Olympic was in Belfast receiving new boats which had different size as an addition to the 16 wooden boats????

What did went on in May 1912?
In April 1912 she received about 40 bethon collapsible boats, all were seaworthy and about 2 or 4 had some short of a small hole/puncture in the canvas.

>>The damage to the lifeboats was not significant other than damage done by souvenir collectors immediately following the boats being deposited at Pier 59.<<

Sure you can show us where you got that fact from?