Lifeboats

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The Engelhardt collapsibles were built by McAllister and Son of Dumbarton in Scotland, under licence from their designer.

Michael is right about the ordinary boats.

Michael lowe

Apr 2, 2006
i dont see why they didnt use T's lifeboats on O. Why not, it saves building new ones

Take her to sea Mr Murdoch, lets stretch her legs

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>i dont see why they didnt use T's lifeboats on O.<<

We don't know as an absolute non-debatable fact that they didn't, however there are some problems with this. As they were about all that was left of Titanic, they were held for a time as tangible assets for the limitation of liability proceedings. How long can't be stated but there's no paper trail still extant which establishes what happened to the boats at all.

Another problem is that clinker type boats tend to be rather leaky. Especially if they've been too long in the water, then left too long out of it. They may have been repairable and even repaired. On the other hand, they may have been disposed of as not worth the bother.

We just don't know.

Dec 13, 2006
I heard (back in the James Cameron/Titanic hype days) that a man in Texas has a lifeboat from Titanic at his restaurant. I believe it was one of the Titanic historians was being interviewed and the guy asked him "whatever happened to the lifeboats?" and that's the answer that he gave. Is there anybody else that thinks that might ring a bell?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm afraid it doesn't strike a bell with me. The problem here is that if anybody kept any records of what happened to the boats, any such records have either gone the way of the landfill or have been buried in some dusty archive somewhere. The lack of any such records makes it impossible to establish any sort of reliable provenance for the boat.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
(The original thread from a few years back is locked, so I'm starting a new one).

According to "The Shipping Gazette and Lloyd's List", 24th April 1912, "The Olympic, which leaves Southampton to-day, has on her boat deck a number of collapsible boats. At New York, the Olympic will take on board the boats of the Titanic".

Olympic's collapsible boats, a previous edition of the newspaper says, came from ships tied up at Netley.

Paul

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
I've read both that they rotted away in Brooklyn and that they were brought home by the Olympic.

I do remember when I was younger there was a small white clinker-built boat hanging near Fleetwood sea front which my uncle told me belonged to the Titanic (from memory it was identical to Titanic's emergency cutters), though I now question the credibility of such.

[Moderator's Note: Three separate threads addressing the same subject have been combined to form this one. MAB]

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Nice find, Paul!

I wonder if there's anything at the New York end. Did Olympic pick up the boats and snaffle them before the matter was before the court?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Did Olympic pick up the boats and snaffle them before the matter was before the court?<<

Interesting question. In a bustling port such as New York City, it probably would have been fairly easy to do. Unless the U.S. Marshalls were keeping an eye on them to make sure they went nowhere, a ship taking on a few extra boats isn't the sort of thing that a lot of people would have cared an awful lot about.

Since this was something that the "The Shipping Gazette and Lloyd's List" did take notice of, I'm wondering if White Star might have been obliged to put some money down on in escrow as a sort of security.

Brandon Holm

Mar 11, 2007
It is hard to know exactly where, the lifeboats are, or if they are still intact.

The research I have reviewed states that the boat were kept at the Titanic berth, then moved to a warehouse for storage for the US inquiry. After that, there is a lack of information, as Mr. Standart says, to know what happened.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
More to the point, when did Olympic take the boats?

[Moderator's Note: A recently active thread in "General Titanica," consisting of the messages from 2000, 2001 and June 2007, has now been merged into this one. MAB]

Mar 3, 2001
There is a photo of the Olympic with white lifeboats in the foreground with the caption "A 1912 photo of the Olympic in Southhampton with lifeboats in the foreground, support this theory." in 882 1/1 questions about the Titanic. It's referring to the assertion that the boats were placed on the Olympic. Hardly strong evidence for the case. It doesn't give a date for the photo other than 1912 so if it were taken just before the Olympics first attempt to sail when the workers went on strike then we know the boats at that point were in NYC.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It doesn't give a date for the photo other than 1912<<

That's one of the reasons I don't trust it. Those are clinker built boats in the photo allright, but so what? With no obvious markings on them, and the style being as common as it was, those boats could have come from The Good Ship Lollipop for all I know.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I recall that picture, I think it was in the back of "An Illustrated History"? My copy is in storage, but aren't there any distinguishing marks to possibly date the picture, such as lifeboat arrangement on the Olympic, or possibly geographical features on the dock?

btw, which berth were the lifeboats stored in? I recall the famous photos of all 13 lifeboats tied up in a line with a couple of uniformed people standing in them looking up at the camera, but where was this taken?

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Aha. With White Star ships arriving fairly regularly at the pier, I don't think the boats would have remaned there long!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Aha. With White Star ships arriving fairly regularly at the pier, I don't think the boats would have remaned there long!<<

Not in the water anyway. They would have been in the way of valuable berthing space. Removing them too the shed on the pier wouldn't have been that wildly difficult. With that cash bond posted as security that Dave Gittins mentioned in his February 25, 2003 post, there would have been no reason to keep them in New York either beyond possibly not being worth the bother to move.