Liferings on Titanic

Cara Ginter

Aug 7, 2005
Were there life rings on the Titanic? I seem to remember seeing one in a picture, but I'm not sure. Also, if there were, are there any reports of anyone using one to float instead of a life belt? Did the people who went back to collect bodies collect anyone in one of these life rings?
Curious,
Cara Ginter

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There were life rings, and several were later found floating in the wreckage. The body of Henry Reynolds, a 3rd Class passenger, was one of only 4 recovered by the Montmagny. It was recorded that the body was found on 10 May 'amidst wreckage, in a life ring'.

J

Jeffrey Word

Bob, didn't I read somewhere on here that said the Titanic's liferings were blank? No ships, name, no color, just white rings right?
Thanks!

Jeff.

May 7, 2005
You are correct in the assumption that the liferings were blank. Many people used to believe (and still do) that the liferings were red & white and said Titanic Liverpool on them.
However light has been shed on the subject recently that has concluded that the liferings are indeed blank.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
One of the silliest statements in The Titanic Conspiracy is that Titanic could have been turned into Olympic and vice versa by "exchanging the ships' name-plates and the odd loose item such as lifebuoys". Changing lifebuoys was about the only job that wouldn't have been needed!

There were 48 lifebuoys, six with Holmes lights attached to them for night emergencies.

Here's a bit of trivia. In Titanic's day, lifebuoys and lifebelts were never called life preservers, as they sometimes have been since. A life preserver was a heavy little club that gentlemen carried inside their coats in Victorian times. Muggers got a nasty shock! That's why Gilbert wrote---

"Here's your crowbar and your centrebit,
Your lifepreserver - you may want to hit."

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I wonder then, if this testimony from James Johnson (British Inquiry) suggests drastic measures to keep the 3rd Class passengers quiet: "The bedroom stewards were all told to go to every room and put life preservers on the passengers".
wink.gif

Cara Ginter

Aug 7, 2005
Thanks for your comments. It was really making me curious! And Paul, thanks for renaming it!
happy.gif
I probably should have come up with something like that...
happy.gif

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
That now famous practice wasn't started until years later (after WWI I think). Has anyone ever noticed that all the Titanic movies seem to have the name "RMS Titanic" stenciled on the life rings? This is one factual inaccuracy that I think is often overlooked.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>This is one factual inaccuracy that I think is often overlooked.<<

True, but then there's always that desire for dramatic effect when the camera pans in on "S.S. Titanic" to start building that level of suspense.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
"True, but then there's always that desire for dramatic effect when the camera pans in on "S.S. Titanic" to start building that level of suspense."

I think Noel Coward was the first to employ this dramatic device by incorporating it in his stage directions for "Cavalcade". It was repeated in the film of the play.

Noel

May 7, 2005
Then none of us can never forget the cover of one of the original A Night to Remember books. If you watch the extra features on the DVD from the Criterion Collection, they say that the sale of the book really escalated with the lifering that hung on the tilting deck railing. For those not familiar with it, it does say R.M.S. Titanic on it rather than the stark white rings we know there to have been.

Sep 26, 2009
The pilot for "Time Tunnel" had a life ring with the ship's name on it for dramatic effect. That's how Tony Newman knew he was on the Titanic! The American Heritage magazine article that accompanied the release of Walter Lord's A Night to Remember had a unique life ring design. TITANIC and LIVERPOOL top and bottom, and White Star Line flags left and right. I made one up from a styrofoam Cutty Sark whiskey life ring and it hung in the production office of S.O.S. Titanic on the Queen Mary when they were filming for two weeks. They liked it so much I didn't get it back! Robert H. Gibbons

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
At the height of the Cameron "Titanic" furore I saw fake liferings on sale blazoned with "Titanic" plus "London"! Well researched, wouldn't you say?

I suppose some bloody fools must have been buying them.

Noel

May 7, 2005
On the Nickelodeon series Drake & Josh, they also have a lifering that says Titanic, London. Obviously highly inaccurate. Just thought I'd throw that in here.

May 7, 2005
Believe me, I'd rather watch that then the Disney Channel. My sister has hammered that nail so deep that it has splintered the wood.