Lightoller autobiography

C

cheryll ann slyke

We received "Titanic and Other Ships", Lightoller autobio. as a gift from a friend in England. No dust cover, but in excellent condition. Can anyone give me more info on this. How many were sold, value, etc. Thanks.

Neil McRae

Apr 16, 2001
I don't know any of that but I do know it was taken off the shelves for a while when Lightoller faced a lawsuit by the Marconi company for some things mentioned in the book (I'm not sure what).

I myself have never read it (never seen a copy) but would very much like to read of Lightoller's experiences in his own words.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Cheryll, somewhere on this forum is a discussion of the book. Somebody even found the original version and the part that annoyed the Marconi company. The change made was trivial. A search of the forum will find it.

The value of the book depends on what it's wanted for. As a source for study, it's of dubious value. Lightoller even gets the date of the Titanic disaster wrong. His account of events is pretty sketchy. To those who collect books for the sake of collecting, it's quite valuable. $US200 would not surprise me, but Mike Tennaro knows best. Where are you, Mike?

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Cheryll,

Now THAT is a gift! I agree with Dave. Definitely in the $200+ range. One sold on eBay for over that recently. (I wanted to bid, but it was, sadly, more than I could afford...
sad.gif

Congratulations!

John.

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I found mine for £1.50 in a second hand bookshop... still looking for The Ismay Line for under a tenner!

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
These expectant fathers are always SO cheap...

Seriously, though, most of the prices for Titanic-related books skyrocketed a few years back, due to Cameron's movie, the Broadway Musical and, years before, the discovery of the wreck. However, some books still retain a good deal of that price, while others have returned to their original market value. Those still ranging in the hundreds of dollars price-range would include your book - I recently saw one sell for over $400 (can't recall the exact price). Like John, I have wanted to bid on one but, sadly, haven't the 'price of the ticket'.

Best regards,
Cook

M

Maxim A. Nikulin

Well people I have to say
that lucky is the person
who receives such a gifts!
I myself cannot find it through
my sources yet...
Best Regards!
Max Nikulin