Lights in the Stern after the Breakup

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of that. But it doesn't surprise me. Back up and or redundant systems often get overlooked for a variety of reasons. Or even if they don't get forgotten about there's the issue of people just gun-decking it. Was that docu on tv or the web?

On the web, it was actually the 'internet historian'. Not exactly your typical doco format but it seems pretty well researched. I'll admit to being pretty ignorant on the details of this one until watching this one, I'll do some more reading. The atmosphere on the bridge just before colliding with the rock was a tad unprofessional to say the least.

The engineers were some of the real heroes, keeping the power on as best they could until forced out by the flooding.

Main doco here:

Follow up with some more details on the engineering at the start:

Let me know what you think.

Reactions: 1 user

Incony

Mar 11, 2020
ive ventured the question of the electrical system on a different forum topic... to discover how the electrical control room could be accessed, what was in there and what the equipment did... right down to the fuses, the switches, the overloads et at al.. the lights could dim because of flooding, not current loss, and that is because there was an easier path to ground, not a short circuit, just a spread path to ground, so in effect the lights shared what was available, and so would dim, its wasnt because of local fuses failing, though they did, because of short circuits and those lights without connection to the main supply would go out... so would any on the emergency generators, since they were fused too... it all entered the control room and was controlled from there, before it went anywhere else.. BUT. looking at the circuits, and i have a diagram. the main generators. even one on its own, could supply all of the lights on the Titanic . even if it started to loose steam pressure, the load of the lights. was very small, no main fuses blew until the ship broke, at least one main genny, ran until the ship fractured, and the cables snapped and the steam pipes broke.. you can comment on what is certainly known... here. Electricity During Sinking,

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005
On the web, it was actually the 'internet historian'. Not exactly your typical doco format but it seems pretty well researched. I'll admit to being pretty ignorant on the details of this one until watching this one, I'll do some more reading. The atmosphere on the bridge just before colliding with the rock was a tad unprofessional to say the least.

The engineers were some of the real heroes, keeping the power on as best they could until forced out by the flooding.

Main doco here:

Thanks. I will check them out this evening. I haven't delved to deeply in this myself but as to your comment about the bridge crew I have read the whole mess started with the captain trying to impress a girlfriend or something. Anyway I will definitely watch those.

Nov 14, 2005
ive ventured the question of the electrical system on a different forum topic... to discover how the electrical control room could be accessed, what was in there and what the equipment did... right down to the fuses, the switches, the overloads et at al.. the lights could dim because of flooding, not current loss, and that is because there was an easier path to ground, not a short circuit, just a spread path to ground, so in effect the lights shared what was available, and so would dim, its wasnt because of local fuses failing, though they did, because of short circuits and those lights without connection to the main supply would go out... so would any on the emergency generators, since they were fused too... it all entered the control room and was controlled from there, before it went anywhere else.. BUT. looking at the circuits, and i have a diagram. the main generators. even one on its own, could supply all of the lights on the Titanic . even if it started to loose steam pressure, the load of the lights. was very small, no main fuses blew until the ship broke, at least one main genny, ran until the ship fractured, and the cables snapped and the steam pipes broke.. you can comment on what is certainly known... here. Electricity During Sinking,

Main doco here:

Those vids were quite informative. His presentation style is a little different but they were good. Thanks. A tad unprofessional is an understatement on the clown show that was going on that night on the bridge. A helmsman that doesn't understand the language of the captain...what could possibly go wrong?...LOL. Thanks again...good vids.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Those vids were quite informative. His presentation style is a little different but they were good. Thanks. A tad unprofessional is an understatement on the clown show that was going on that night on the bridge. A helmsman that doesn't understand the language of the captain...what could possibly go wrong?...LOL. Thanks again...good vids.
A pile of unmitigated rubbish from start to finish.
To my mind, this is not a documentary but a showcase for the author's ego (as a graphic artist and video game maker) and has no place in a serious discussion concerning the last moments in the life of Titanic.
This is simply an up-dated version of the same nonsense that was,, and still is, being spewed forth at all levels of ignorance following the Titanic disaster.

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
A pile of unmitigated rubbish from start to finish.
To my mind, this is not a documentary but a showcase for the author's ego (as a graphic artist and video game maker) and has no place in a serious discussion concerning the last moments in the life of Titanic.
This is simply an up-dated version of the same nonsense that was,, and still is, being spewed forth at all levels of ignorance following the Titanic disaster.

Hey Jim, my apologies, I didn't mean to offended. It's produced with a much more 'modern' presentation style for the short attention spans of today, which will certainly not be to everyone's taste. I will delete the post. Having said that I have now read the offical report and the video gets its points mostly correct, though lacks detail in some parts.

The parallel I would still like to draw is that a much more modern and considerably larger ship lost power within seconds of starting to flood, while the Titanic kept the lights on until the very last moment.

**Edit** I don't seem to be able to delete post #81 above, if a moderator could do so for me or move to a more appropriate thread I'd be very grateful.

Nov 14, 2005
Hey Jim, my apologies, I didn't mean to offended. It's produced with a much more 'modern' presentation style for the short attention spans of today, which will certainly not be to everyone's taste. I will delete the post. Having said that I have now read the offical report and the video gets its points mostly correct, though lacks detail in some parts.

The parallel I would still like to draw is that a much more modern and considerably larger ship lost power within seconds of starting to flood, while the Titanic kept the lights on until the very last moment.

**Edit** I don't seem to be able to delete post #81 above, if a moderator could do so for me or move to a more appropriate thread I'd be very grateful.
I wouldn't delete it. I thought it was pretty good. It's up to the viewer to research it further. From what I've seen lately the shipping industry is no different than a lot of others...they've lowered their standards and fully engaged the peter principle. Besides that the captain was a criminal. Every ship wreck gets compared to Titanic one way or the other or so it seems. So it's relevant in that regard. Cheers.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.

No apologies are necessary. Rancor.