Lights Out in Third Class

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I know that there is a thread with a similar title but mine here is related the Third Class passenger areas only and on all nights, even though there is onus on that fateful Sunday.

At what time did the Third Class stewards start putting lights out in passenger spaces and how widespread were they? I would have thought some corridor lights would be left on for passengers wanting to use to loo at night etc. Also, did they just switch off most lights in public rooms thus "encouraging" the passengers to retire to their bedrooms or were any stragglers firmly ordered back into their rooms? If the former, I would have thought switching off lights in public spaces might give some younger people a different sort of 'encouragement'.

Nov 14, 2005
I know that there is a thread with a similar title but mine here is related the Third Class passenger areas only and on all nights, even though there is onus on that fateful Sunday.

At what time did the Third Class stewards start putting lights out in passenger spaces and how widespread were they? I would have thought some corridor lights would be left on for passengers wanting to use to loo at night etc. Also, did they just switch off most lights in public rooms thus "encouraging" the passengers to retire to their bedrooms or were any stragglers firmly ordered back into their rooms? If the former, I would have thought switching off lights in public spaces might give some younger people a different sort of 'encouragement'.
I've read in other places that they would turn off lights before midnight around 11:30pm or so. But haven't seen the sources to back that up so can't claim its true or not. You would think there would be lights on for safety reasons. I'm sure some modern revisionist historian will write a book about "light privilege" that 3rd class didn't have...LOL.

Reactions: 1 user

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have my books in front of me but, it is described in them. I believe the Public Rooms (Lounge, R&W Room, Cafes, etc) closed at 11:00PM with a 11:30 cut off. All Public Rooms locked and the Chief Steward of that Public Room would have them. So I'm pretty positive they turned off all lights and then locked the rooms once people were out.
You wouldn't really find stragglers in 1st or 2nd class as that would be considered rude. They were aware of the closing times and though they might need to be told it's closing time, they wouldn't press it. You might in 3rd (though they kept to a lot of the social standards as well), but I would bet you'd never find them looking to do "other stuff". It would be both humiliating to the couple and would be next to stripping naked in a train station today. Like, yea you COULD, but probably never would see the scenario.

Nov 14, 2005
I don't have my books in front of me but, it is described in them. I believe the Public Rooms (Lounge, R&W Room, Cafes, etc) closed at 11:00PM with a 11:30 cut off. All Public Rooms locked and the Chief Steward of that Public Room would have them. So I'm pretty positive they turned off all lights and then locked the rooms once people were out.
You wouldn't really find stragglers in 1st or 2nd class as that would be considered rude. They were aware of the closing times and though they might need to be told it's closing time, they wouldn't press it. You might in 3rd (though they kept to a lot of the social standards as well), but I would bet you'd never find them looking to do "other stuff". It would be both humiliating to the couple and would be next to stripping naked in a train station today. Like, yea you COULD, but probably never would see the scenario.
Yes I've read those times in various articles ect. But I've read that card games in the smoking lounge or wherever would go on through the night. Maybe that was just first class. Arun was asking about third class. As for the other stuff Arun was asking about involving the younger people if there was the will they would find a way. Even on my aircraft carrier which was a totally different situation they found a way. The guys that were restricted to the ship while in port wold have a buddy deliver the goods to them under the guise of bringing his "girlfriend" for a tour of the ship. Granted they were probably not as randy as sailors of the time but people are people and will find a way. But having said that I believe from what I've read that Titanic and the other large liners of the time were different from ships prior to that. Some of the immigrant ships through the 1800's were literal hell holes for women aboard.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Granted they were probably not as randy as sailors of the time but people are people and will find a way.
That's true. Stories of the steerage situation in the 19th century immigrant ships are probably rather exaggerated but I have heard from several nautical sources that some degree of "unenforced hanky panky" did go on in the late 19th and early 20th century crossings. I guess a lot of it had to do with the mood of the time and place. Many single people thrown together nearly for a week, mostly unchaperoned and with not a lot to do.

Famous author Nevil Shute worked as an leading engineer in the Vickers hangar in Howden, Yorkshire in the 1920s during the construction of the R100 airship. He reported that on several occasions he caught male and female workers "copulating" (the Airship project used a lot of women workers too for stitching etc during construction of the R100's airframe) in dark corners at night when he went on unannounced nocturnal inspection visits. As Steven says, people and people and our ancestors had hormones too. The only difference is that the media did not have enough resources to be as intrusive as they are today and such things were simply ignored.

If you read the ET bios of Titanic's passengers and crew, you will be surprised at how many of them had skeletons (or at least a few bones) in their cupboards. And those are known ones.

Nov 14, 2005
I've read from that it was pretty bad for women from different authors. Maybe some of it was exaggerated like a lot of history. I do know they passed laws to deal with the horrible conditions. Given the time period they probably didn't cover it too much in the press...the sordid stuff I mean. It was during the time when courts could be cleared of females when they discussed the so called juicy bits so to speak. As for what you said about the airship hanger..I totally believe that because the power plant where I worked was a hot bed of that activity during the 80's and 90's when the world was still a fun place before the PC crap of todays messed up world. I walked in on numerous encounters going on. Once even the passenger elevator on the boiler. The operations dept was famous for that stuff. The joke was they had rotating shifts and rotating wives. So yes the people during Titanic's time were probably no different. They just were more discrete about it and had a little more decorum. I believe that was the better way. But those days are long gone. Probably never coming back with the internet and all the other stuff. Cheers.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I totally believe that because the power plant where I worked was a hot bed of that activity during the 80's and 90's when the world was still a fun place before the PC crap of todays messed up world.
I could not agree more. The "PC Crap" has not only spoilt all the fun but made the world look boring and one-dimensional.

Nov 14, 2005
I could not agree more. The "PC Crap" has not only spoilt all the fun but made the world look boring and one-dimensional.
Yeah. I must confess I'm disappointed on how things have turned out from what I thought they would be by this time when I was younger. Change is unstoppable and necessary but it isn't always good. It's like what I said about in another thread about the big cities. They all seem the same to me now. That's too bad as I like seeing different. Every time I go back to Germany it seems a little less german than it used to be. And I don't know why it bothered me so much but when I was standing next to the Parthenon in Rome and seeing a McDonalds next to it, it just didn't seem right to me. Oh well enough for the rant. Back to Titanic. Cheers.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I must confess I'm disappointed on how things have turned out from what I thought they would be by this time when I was younger.
Precisely my thoughts. That includes rest of your post as well. Many interesting places are losing their character. I'll give you an example that has a peripheral connection to the Titanic before the Mods tell us off.
If you are British, you must know a place in Wales called Hay-on-Wye that is one of the first "Book Towns" that specializes in old books and magazines. My first visit there was in 1985 and since then I have visited about a dozen times, the last one being in 2011. I bought several older Titanic books there, including a very good hardbound copy of ANTR. With each visit I noted how the overall character changed because both the visitor's requests and vendors' service "kept up with the times" if you know what I mean. It is now little more than a 'quaint' tourist attraction.

Nov 14, 2005
Precisely my thoughts. That includes rest of your post as well. Many interesting places are losing their character. I'll give you an example that has a peripheral connection to the Titanic before the Mods tell us off.
If you are British, you must know a place in Wales called
Hay-on-Wye that is one of the first "Book Towns" that specializes in old books and magazines. My first visit there was in 1985 and since then I have visited about a dozen times, the last one being in 2011. I bought several older Titanic books there, including a very good hardbound copy of ANTR. With each visit I noted how the overall character changed because both the visitor's requests and vendors' service "kept up with the times" if you know what I mean. It is now little more than a 'quaint' tourist attraction.
That sounds like a place that I would like a lot. I know exactly what you mean. Same here. Ghost towns and mining camps that we used to find on own and just go through are being bought up and turned into tourist traps. Some so cheesy they are comical. I've seen stuff with regards to Titanic that fall into the same boat (no pun intended). But at least that has seemed to settle down the further we get from the 100th anniversary and the 97 movie.