Lights Out

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
No, not just before the breakup... before that.

1. The trimmers and stokers all refer to the boiler room lights going out for (about) 10 minutes or so (At least in BR 4, 5, 6) just after the collision itself. One of them thought the engineers were "changing the lights over" to some other generator (I think this was Barret or Beauchamp, I don't recall). Some of the firemen and trimmers were sent to the engine room to get lamps and it seems the lights were back on by the time they got back. What caused this?

2. Edith Russel, I believe, said that the stewards were calling lights out when she went to bed, the collision happened when she got to her stateroom. Lights out, I understand was at 11:30pm by White Star policy. The iceberg was struck at about 11:40pm. In theory, the Titanic should have turned her lights out. Presumably they went back on once the Captain gave the order to load the lifeboats. I don't recall reading any references to the lights going out or being turned on in any of the testimonies I've read so far. What actually happened? Was it not mentioned because it didn't happen, or did people forget it or assume that it was common knowledge? Most passengers would have been asleep or in their quarters, so likely they wouldn't have noticed. Most of the crew working would have been in areas which would naturally remain illuminated (like the boiler rooms and engine room).

3. Which areas were actually subject to "lights out"? Was it just the main public rooms? Did they dim the hallway lights?

Seungho Kang

Mar 5, 2019
South Korea
I am speculating that the areas the iceberg scraped through had electric cords running up and down, which would be damaged, causing the lights to go off.

I am not quite sure, though.

Reactions: 1 user

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
The dining room was being set up for next day breakfast. So the lights must be on in the dinning room. Would another meaning for lights out means everyone off to your quarters?
Survivor testimony stated they were reading at 1140 pm of that night. Wsl don't have the authority to tell passengers to go to bed at a certain time but have the authority to kick passengers out of public rooms.

Nov 14, 2005
I am speculating that the areas the iceberg scraped through had electric cords running up and down, which would be damaged, causing the lights to go off.

I am not quite sure, though.
If they did go out and were back on in 10 mins or so it was probably just a branch feeder circuit breaker tripping. 10 mins wouldn't have given them the time to locate and fix the damage. I have never read where any such problem or repairs were done. Probably a spurious anomaly caused by an intermittent short to ground. That is totally made up B.S. phrase we often used when managers couldn't accept momentary glitch for an answer.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Reading another thread, it seems the most reasonable explanation for the boiler room lights going out is probably that the seawater filling Boiler Room 6 shorted out the line until the electricians opened the breaker, at which point power was restored to the other boiler rooms.

Still I'd like to know about Lights Out in the passenger spaces at 11:30pm.