Light's quote

Oct 27, 2012
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I apologize in advance for the silly topic, but this is a question that has long haunts me, in fact: from where this vivid quotation is??

What I remember about that night - what I will remember as long as I live - is the people crying out to each other as the stern began to plunge down. I heard people crying, "I love you".
(c) Charles H. Lightoller.

"Titanic and other ships"??

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
It's not in Titanic and Other Ships. It may be from a radio interview. It doesn't sound like Lightoller to me.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I doubt even if it was Lightoller that one would have been able to distinguish anything being said in that particular moment with 1,500 people all shouting and screaming??

Cheers,
Adam.

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi again, Eugene! Both of Daniel Butler's books ("Unsinkable", pg 138 and "The Other Side of the Night", pg 94) have this quote in them, but do not give any source for it. However, I found it quoted online in several places which attribute it to page 185 of "Her Name, Titanic" by Charles Pellegrino, originally published in 1988. I cannot confirm this myself as I do not own this book. Someone else may be able to elaborate on this, but Charles Pellegrino has been accused of fabricating various quotes and thoughts attributed to people in his books. If this appears nowhere else prior to 1988, this quote may have originated with Pellegrino himself. Anyone with further information, please chime in!

Oct 27, 2012
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Thanks a lot, Russell (and all of you people!), for the precious comments on the origin of this intriguing quotation!
I saw it only in the virtual texts before, actually... not on the paper (although I had the intention to buy one of Pellegrino's books, to tell the truth!)...