Lillian Asplund Information

Phil Martel

May 25, 2004
Lillian lives in her home with a health aid, not a family member. She is bedridden. Her bed is by her front window. She'll occasionally wave to neighborhood passers-by. I have lived across the street from her for over 25 years.

Jul 14, 2002
I would like to add my birthday wishes as well! May Lillian continue to be blessed with many more years of great health and happiness!

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Me too. I hope Lillian's doing fine, that she's not sick, and that she won't be, and that she'll live on for years to come.

Go Lillian ! My favorite Titanic survivor.

Laura

Cara Ginter

Aug 7, 2005
I've never met her, and though I have managed to find her address, and though I crave to write her a letter, I will refrain from doing so. Wether she would read it or not, (though the later is more likely) I don't want to cause pain to her anymore then what she has already suffered. But I also want to wish her a quite belated happy birthday!

Cara

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Cara, I wrote to her last Christmas, and I will this year too. Don't be afraid to write her, if they read it, they do, if not- not, big deal. No one replied, I knew it, but I was happy, because at least, it didn't get returned to me saying "REJECTED!" At first, I was a little timid to write, but I just did. If I would be Lillian, I wouldn't be frustrated,or angry if someone wrote me, but rather be thankful and glad someone actually cares to write me and remembers, because of all that I had to go through... And so I would reply. But that's just me. I wonder if she still has my card, or even if they kept it. But, I still like Lillian, how she never left her mom, and took care for her, Felix was cool too.

Laura

Scott Cosso

Feb 12, 2004
hey all,
Im afraid to say Lillian probably not going to read your letter. From what ive heard she gets very upset at just the mention of the Titanic. My suggestion for best results is to send it to another person living at the home saying you care about how Lillian doing and make no mention of Titanic. If that doesn't work there are people on this message board who say they are neighbors with Lillian who could probably tell you something (if they are telling the truth)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the link I provided above last year on how to contact a survivor
quote:

You don't. All of the survivors are very old now and as all were children at the time of the sinking their memories of the disaster are very limited and have been well documented already, therefore individuals should not attempt to contact them under any circumstances. Milvena Dean is the only survivor actively involved with any Titanic society being a regular guest of the British Titanic Society at its annual Southampton convention. She sometimes conducts a question and answer session at the convention.
Not that I can stop anyone from trying, but keep in mind the realities spelled out and the sensibilities of these people as well as their right to be left in peace.​

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Scott, that's what I did last year.

Michael, I don't think a kind little card will hurt.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Michael, I don't think a kind little card will hurt.<<

They, or their families may be of the contrary opinion, and the available evidence would tend to indicate that they are. I know that some people mean well, but good intentions don't mean a lot to those who would like to spend their remaining years in peace. That's the reason for the boilerplate I cited from the FAQ's page.

Cara Ginter

Aug 7, 2005
I still don't know. I want to write to her more then anything, and I really don't plan on mentioning the Titanic, AT ALL. But..... I really don't want to upset her!

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Oh what the heck, I give in. Cara, do as you please. I haven't mentioned the Titanic, sinking...at all, as if Lillian wouldn't have been on the Titanic, and had no connection with it at all, but if letters are this opposed by some members, well, I don't know...

Laura

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Mmmmmmmm...Laura, it's not really a question of opposition as it is simple respect for the privacy of the people in question. I wouldn't mind meeting with or chatting up any of these remaining people myself, but the catch is that of these three, only one of them wants anything to do with Titanic or any of the celebrity that comes with the deal. Even then, it's only by way of some organized events. The other two just want to be left alone and their families and friends are willing to do whatever it takes to make certain those wishes are honoured.

This point seems to be lost on a lot of otherwise...in all fairness...very well meaning people. I don't know of any better way I can explain this.

Speaking only for myself, I'm no gaurdian of the gates. I don't have any power to do anything other then to try and persuade others to see a point of view and I'm well aware of the fact that others have the power to not be persuaded. Ain't nuthin' I can do about it either beyond passing along some information which I've already done.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Yeah, guess you're right. I'll leave Lillian and her family alone, it's not important anyways. Guess if I really like her as one of the best Titanic survivors, I'll be respectable enough not to disturb her.

M

Matt Endacott

Hey,
I'm just wondering, how is Lillian at the moment? Is she well? LAst i heard she was slowly recovering. Anyone close to her know?
Best Regards,
Matt.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

I'm close to her, just two small states apart, so if I'd drive, I would be there in an hour or so. Well, the latest I've heard about her, is that she is well,at home. But, if you're REALLY concerned, my best friend lives VERY close to Lillian, and I'm going to visit her in the Spring Break, so maybe I'll drop by. But I'm too shy! It'll be like stalking her. I really, really want to meet her, that'd be a big connection to history. Maybe, I'll go there WITH my friend, I don't know. I'll collect myself, before time runs out, o-o!

Wait, people say she was slowly recovering-recovering from what ? When was my Lillian ill ?

Apr 11, 2001
Miss Lillian is doing well and has passed the winter without any major health difficulties. Cousins came to visit at Christmas. As might be expected, she is unable to climb stairs and so is now, and has been for some time, comfortably installed on the ground floor with her bedroom in the sunny picture window of her cottage with a cheery companion who looks after her needs. Her silvery hair is worn drawn back in a bun,her complexion radiant and rosy, and her eyes twinkle merrily when she describes her garden, She is very, very fond of flowers and once had over 20 rosebushes in her yard. Sadly, she is now unable to tend the garden or get out very much, but still likes to recall the memories of it. She does not wish to discuss Titanic, as can be imagined-. One of her favorite snacks - is pepperoni pizza. She is a lovely lady, possessed of a real old-world charm and an endearing and musical speaking voice. She is very special, although far too modest to ever consider herself so- even without the Titanic connection.

M

Matt Endacott

That's really nice to hear that she's so happy. It's funny how i also portrayed her as "just a Titanic survivor", yet after living close now to a century theres so much more to her life. She was a pioneer of your nation, coming over in the great boom years, she lived through every era, the Roaring 20's right up to now in the Techno Age and is still smiling. To think back on every time in history in the last 100years, and that Miss Asplund lived during it is truely amazing. She is, in her own right one of your national treasures. Imagine the stories she must have of a life spanning 99years!
Best Regards,
Matt