Liners in the Middle East 1948

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here are some photos from an album of shots depicting liners and freighters suspected of illegally smuggling Jewish settlers to Palestine. First shot is of the Ile de France in the Suez Canal, still in troopship gray but with her funnels- still three- restored to the CGT colors.
77928.jpg

Mar 28, 2002
Whatever happened to the ship whose story was the basis for the film and book "Exodus"? From memory, it was an American freighter (?) that had been carrying hundreds of liberated Jewish concentration camp prisoners who had been smuggled aboard on the French Riviera to a new life in Palestine. Once they reached Palestine they were refused entry by the British, who eventually relented.

Cheers,

Boz

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I wish I knew the name- I could check to see if there is a photo of that incident in the collection.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
I may be out on a limb here but I think the Empress of Scotland was back on the north Atlantic by 1948.

The Empress of Australia was trooping in those waters in 1948. Whatever, all three pictures seem to be of the same vessel, going by the angle of the topped derricks.

I ID'd the Exodus years ago but don't have the information to hand right now. Try a web search - you will not be disappointed.

Noel

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Empress of Scotland, a bow close up from the above photo. The album was assembled in 1948, but perhaps the photo was taken earlier.
77986.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Other liner- side view

The fenestration on the promenade decks differ, and the forward end of the promenade deck seems to "tuck under' the bridge as did that of the Ile de France, so I lean towards the original captions being correct.
77993.jpg

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Damn!

It seems my spanner didn't quite reach the works.

By reason of discontemporaneity I plead not guilty as to the Ile de France, viz.:

"The Ile would serve the British and American interests until September 1945, when she was decommissioned by the British. In 1947, the Ile was returned to French possession and immediately went to the Penhoët shipyards for rebuilding."

http://www.uncommonjourneys.com/pages/iledefrance.htm

As for the Empress of Scotland; as she apparently falls into the time-frame I can do no other than plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court, viz.:

"The Empress was finally discharged from trooping duties in May 1948."

http://www.angelfire.com/pe2/pjs1/eos4.html

Noel

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The photo is inscribed "Isle (sic) de France- Suez Canal" by the photographer. The photo collection was compiled in 1948 but the photos are mostly not dated and so could very well go back to the immediate post war years.