Lisa James

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa James

What a spectacular site. I have looked and looked everywhere for the info I found here in just minutes. Wow!
I have been interested in Titanic since I was very young. And enjoy learning more all the time.
I am looking forward to the education I will gain here.
I look forward, too, to 'meeting' you all.

Jan 5, 2001
<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Welcome aboard Lisa! You'll learn lots of new stuff here. I think the message board is perhaps the greatest part of this site. I look forward to your postings. Did you by any chance get interested by reading 'A Night To Remember'?

Best regards,

Mark.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Lisa,
welcome aboard! You'll find Titanic enthusiasts from all around the world here, and will occasionally bump into an author or two!

Kind regards,
Dan

L

Lisa James

Mark,
I read 'A Night to Remember' while writing a report in high school. I already had a great interest in Titanic before reading that book.
I did enjoy that book alot. I reread it after the report to enjoy it more.

I would love a few suggestions on good Titanic books though!
Suggestions anyone?
Lisa

K

Kathy Geary

I recommend "Ghosts of the Titanic" by Charles Pellegrino, also "Her Name Titanic" by Pellegrino. "Titanic Voices" by Donald Hyslop, et.al. is also very good. "The Night Lives On" by Walter Lord is also good reading. There are a lot of great books out there.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Lisa,

Welcome aboard! Titanic: An Illustrated History by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall is an excellent book because of it's colour and paintings, The Discovery of the Titanic by Robert Ballard is also very good. The Birth of the Titanic by Michael McCaughan is good as well which has many photos of the Titanic being built just to name a few.

This is the best site for Titanic info anywhere. It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Lisa,
Now's my turn to welcome you aboard! The two aforementioned Pellegrino books are very good, but I'd also like to suggest "The Last Log of the Titanic," by Captain David Brown. (And I'm not just saying that 'cause the Cap'n is known to haunt the areas 'round my home, and could easily track me down and smack me if he was determined to!)

Also, if you're interested in other liners, "The Only Way to Cross," by John Maxtone-Graham is also an excellent book.

Josh.

L

Lisa James

Thank you for all great titles. I live in a very small town with a limited library. But, I will be looking for these titles.

The last book I was reading was by Robert Ballard and some one else(sorry)
I believe it was titled'Lost Liners'
It had many of the beautiful ocean liners that graced our oceans before the transatlantic route became passe.

I really enjoyed the part on the Emperess of Ireland.
Beautiful pictures and drawings of all of the big lost liners.
I am sure you have seen this one. Sorry if the title was wrong. I became so engrossed in the reading the title slipped me.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Lisa,
"Lost Liners" was co-authored by Rick Archbold. I too love that book, and has proved itself a more than useful addition to my library.

There's also a website along the same theme, though I don't think it's directly related to the book. Lost Liners... it's a handy dandy and impressive site! : )

Josh.

Jan 5, 2001
'Lost Liners' is one of my favourites.

I don't think anyone has recommended the 350-page 'Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy' by Charles Haas and John Eaton, Patrick Stephens Ltd. Generally it's accurate, although I have some problems when they say Titanic was not trying to arrive on Tuesday, but that's only my personal opinion. There's a complete cargo manifest, passenger list and great chapter about the wreck, not to mention magnificent deckplans. However, at the start of chapter three there's a major mistake when they quote about Britannic's millionaire suites, not Titanic's.

L

Lisa James

Josh,

The lost Liners site is great. The little intro movie of the Empress of Ireland gave me goosebumps.
Such a horrible tragedy that went ignored!
Thanks for the link.

Lisa

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Lisa,
You're welcome! I just watched the Empress movie a few days ago, and I personally enjoyed it. Very well done. It's sad to think that so many people were killed in the accident (including a higher passenger compliment than Titanic), but the whole thing was overshadowed by World War I.

Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.