Little Children threw into the boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2003
A book of daniele steel, no greater lover is a bit about the titanic. Somewhere in the book is said that people threw little children and babies, like the girl in the book called alexis, into the lifeboats from the lower deks. did this really happen or is that just something the writer imagined?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
There might have been something along those lines as things became more urgent, but I think you'll find that most of that is simply a figment of the writer's imagination. The evacuation of the ship in the real world was surprisingly calm up almost to the end.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
It's not imagination this time. Steward Frederick Ray testified to catching a baby who was thrown into boat 13. As I recall, there were other airborne babies that night, though I don't think any came from the lower decks.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It is well documented that children were 'thrown' or dropped into boats, especially on the port side where the list had created a sizeable gap to cross. But since there were plenty of people to act as catchers that wasn't as foolhardy as it sounds. I haven't seen any accounts of youngsters being tossed in from locations lower than the boat deck, but since a few people like Woolner and Steffansson managed to throw themselves in it was certainly possible.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'd have rather been thrown across the gap than have stayed on board.<<

Can't disagree with that. Rumour has it that staying with the ship was a bit of a health hazard.
smoke.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.