Lives before titanic

Sally Sorour

Oct 13, 2001
Where can I find information on the work, activities, hobbies of the first class women titanic passengers before 1912? I am looking for something more than just who they married and where they lived?

May 8, 2001
Sally. Welcome to the Titanica message board. May I suggest you check the threads under the title named the "Gilded age". There are many references to some well known First Class Ladies on Titanic, pictures of their houses, as well as references by many members about ideas, styles and hobbies. You may also find a keyword search to be helpful if you are looking for a specific person. If not, you can open up a thread and ask your questions. Most anyone with knowledge of a person you are interested in will be glad to answer your questions. Several members have web sites dedicated to a certain passenger, which gives a good feel and fun glimpse into their lifestyle. Much of what you seek is scattered throughout the board in the form of little tidbits, but again, the Gilded Age is a good place to start.
Luck to you.

James Metzger

Dec 13, 2002
Hi Sally,

There's a lot of information about many of the first class ladies in "Titanic: Women and Children First" by Judith Geller. It's an excellent book and should be available in most libraries.

Best,

James

Sally Sorour

Oct 13, 2001
I checked under the Gilded Age thread and did not find anything about the lives of first class women before sailing on the titanic. I found stuff on 1912 fashions and Edwardian or Victorian style. Where else can I look to find detailed information on the work and hobbies of the first class titanic women, something else besides who they married and where they were born and lived?

Sally Sorour

Oct 13, 2001
I checked under the gilded age and found nothing on the first class women titanic passengers before 1912. I only found information on Edwardian styles and fashions. I am looking for activities and work that these women did before 1912 because the bios on the site do not give such information. Which websites can I look at to find information on activities and work on first class titanic women before 1912? If anyone has any information on activities or work of a first class woman passenger before 1912, it would help

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Sally - this is obviously an extremely broad topic. Lady Duff Gordon and Molly Brown are the only women I can think of who have had widely published biographies on them.

One thing is to check indexes of newspapers in cities where these women lived and look them up on microfilm. Often the lives of upper class women were fairly well documented by their local society pages, so you can find out about their charitable/social lives that way.

Finding out about their work is a different matter since few of these women worked! There probably aren't more than a dozen first class ladies who ever brought home a paycheck of any kind.

Good luck to you.
-Brian A.