Lizzie Borden Goes Abroad aboard Scythia

Apr 11, 2001
I found this recently and wondered if there were a way to find the passenger list from these round trip crossings? Lizzie was going to leave from New York aboard Teutonic a month earlier but had a change of plans. Just imagine if she had crossed on Titanic in 1912 coming home!

"Lizzie sailed from Boston to Liverpool, England, aboard the S. S. Scythia on June 21, 1890. Lizzie was accompanied by the Misses Anna Howland Borden and her sister, Carrie Lindley Borden, Elizabeth Brayton, Sarah Brayton, and Ellen M. Shove. Miss Anna H. and Miss Carrie Borden were not related to Lizzie Borden. Lizzie returned to Boston aboard the S. S. Scythia on November 1, 1890."

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
What a waste to have traveled on the same ship there and back!

I know that Boston was the more convenient for her, but I'm reminded of the bit in "The Bostonians" where Adeline Luna cites, as an example of her bluestocking sister Olive Chancellor's peculiarities, that she sails for Europe out of Boston instead of New York, even though sailing out of New York meant better ships and more worthwhile traveling companions.

Shelley - do you know if Lizzie was traveling much in these years?

I've often imagined other contemporary notables known to have crossed the ocean a great deal sailing on the Titanic - like Edith Wharton or Henry James or one of the famous tycoons, like John D. Rockefeller or William Randolph Hearst.

I've discussed this elsewhere - I believe in a Gilded Age thread - but Wharton had a lifelong fear of ocean travel, in spite of doing it frequently. This owed largely to her maternal aunt, Eliza Edgar, having died with her daughter in the sinking of the "Ville du Havre" in 1973. Also drowned was Wharton's brother's fiance, Caroline Hunter, and her parents. I dislike Wharton myself, but I do like reading about the Old New York she came from.