Loading Collapsible D

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Mrs. Futrelle is one of a number of 1st class surviving passengers oftenly placed in different lifeboats. I believed she left along with Mrs. Harris aboard Collapsible D.

Mrs. Futrelle gave different versions of her escape. However Mrs. & Miss Lines mentioned that Mrs. Futrelle was in their boat (No. 9).
Here is one of the interviews by Mrs. Futrelle: "After I left the ship two collapsible lifeboats were launched. In the last one was Mrs. Henry B. Harris, wife of the theatrical manager; Mrs. Thorn and Mrs. Hoyt, that I remember....the ship at that time had sunk to within 15 feet of the first deck... " (The Atlanta Constitution, April 26 1912 )

Reactions: 2 users
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
She herself stated also boat No. 9.
Here is a small part which was shared by Mike Poirier:

"He took me to the to the starboard side. "There was a boat a minute ago," he said. It was just being lowered. It was No. 9, the last to leave. He put me in as they were launching it. "

Also Mrs. Harris in No. D did not mentioned her.

Reactions: 2 users

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
The consensus from her various accounts is that she was in 9. She mentions Paddy McGough and Elisabeth and Mary Lines. She was not in D. She only relayed what she heard about D from Renee Harris

Mrs. Futrelle is one of a number of 1st class surviving passengers oftenly placed in different lifeboats. I believed she left along with Mrs. Harris aboard Collapsible D.

Reactions: 1 users

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I realize that there there are some uncertainties with a few passengers and crew regarding the actual lifeboats that they were rescued on but for a fairly prominent First Class passenger like May Futrelle it is unusual, especially when the differences of opinion involves two lifeboats lowered 35 minutes apart and from opposite sides of the ship. Lifeboat #9 was starboard rear while Collapsible D was fitted to the port forward davits of #2.

This makes me wonder if there was a lady with a close resemblance to Mrs Futrelle on Collapsible D whom some mistook for the latter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Friedman

Apr 2, 2020
For that we would need to examine the individual accounts that placed her in Collapsible D. Unless I'm mistaken, isn't she the only one who mentioned her being in that boat? Which would be cancelled out by her own contrary accounts putting her in Boat 9. The mutual mention of each other as occupants of Boat 9 by Mrs. Lines and her seems to confirm her presence there.